• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBA and Bead Setting

Although I have never blown a bead, a trick I have heard to get it re-seated is to use a cargo strap (winching strap) Wrap it around the tire, tighten it so that it presses the walls out and seats it into the rim, than fill with air as needed.
As for the OBA question, if you go with that setup I don't think it would hurt to have a tank mounted in your rig (or under) somewhere. Even if it says it will take 3 minutes it'll take less if you already have most of the needed air in a tank ready to go... not to mention you could use it for tools n such if its that good.
but thats my 2 cents...

Seating a bead is about volume as much as pressure (if not more so). Even if the compressor goes to 150 psi, it's gotta move a whole lot of air real quickly to seat a bead.

Dr. Jones said:
Seating a bead is about volume as much as pressure (if not more so). Even if the compressor goes to 150 psi, it's gotta move a whole lot of air real quickly to seat a bead.

Exactly.

I could not re-seat the bead on one of my old 35" tires with my OBA system (Viair 400C and 2.5 gallon air tank) I even tried the ratchet-strap method but just as it got close to working the tire would fold, and not work (this was on a 35" TrXus MT).

However... the Ether method did the trick! :yelclap:

That HF one looks great!

Perhaps im a little faint of heart, but Im not going to intentionally let my tires see direct flames. :)

What size tank would you use?

Thanks, all excellent responses
Jesse

Get a Power Tank or similar set up. Resetting the bead is all about flow rate. I have blown several beads. So many, I sprung for beadlocks. Before the beadlocks, however it was the Power Tank to the rescue everytime. Worked everytime, without strapping the tire. Oh yea that was on 35's.
If you ever do try the ether trick, make sure you pull the valve stem core first.

I looked at the power tanks, but the cost is a little much I feel. The cheapest one I found was around $350 and only 10 Lbs of air cap.

That may be a lot, but a little too expensive.

http://formattfab.com/ check out products, then signature products. i have his 20# tank and i'd say it is a good investment.

noresttill said:
I was looking to set up OBA in the heep and came across this: http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=372&products_id=1630

Q1. I believe that its enough to air up my 31's (33's?) fairly quickly, but is this the best deal for a compressor?

Q2. If I blow a bead on the trail, how do I set it again? Is it a PSI thing? If so, how much PSI? Add a tank?

Thanks All,

Jesse
Looks like this one: http://gearinstalls.com/pepboys.htm unclothed. They're not $25 anymore but still a deal at (last I heard) $50 something. I bought one for my girlfriend's kid and liked it so much that I picked one up for myself (paid $42 at Kragen) and leave my bigger compressor at home most of the time--------Hans

noresttill said:
I looked at the power tanks, but the cost is a little much I feel. The cheapest one I found was around $350 and only 10 Lbs of air cap.

That may be a lot, but a little too expensive.

Go on ebay and piece together a C02 set-up or get the formattfab.com which is a deal. I pieced mine together for about $160. A 10lb tank hold 640 gallons of air.

d10shun said:
Go on ebay and piece together a C02 set-up or get the formattfab.com which is a deal. I pieced mine together for about $160. A 10lb tank hold 640 gallons of air.

I did that. Get a beverage.com CO2 aluminum tank on ebay and get formatt's adjustable regulator and tank hold down. I got a 20 lbs tank for $80 or so for a new aluminum tank, $35-45 for the adjustable regultor and $35 or so for the tank hold down. The Powertank is way overpriced, but the best part of it is the regulator, the other stuff is common stuff you can piece together. An adjustable regulator is very nice in that you get go down to 90-100 psi for your air tools and blast your tires and reseat beads at 250 psi. I easily reseated my bead with 250 psi without a tie down strap.

Thanks for all the links all!

Ill have to look at these CO2 closer...few questions

1. About what do you pay for a 10 gal refill? 20 Gal?
2. Who does it?
3. About how many air-ups from 10-35 psi (or whatever you guys usually do)for 31" tires? 33"?
4. How much of an chunck of my air supply be taken up in popping a bead back in with 31's (33's)?

If long winded, sorry. Its just I have no experience with it.

Thanks

Jesse

its 17$ to fill up my 20# bottle, just go to a welding supply place. i've used it many times to air up my 35s and 34s, set a bead with it, let john use it for his arb, and it still has a fair amount left i'd say. there are numbers for how many tires somewhere but i'm lazy. if you do it, get the 20#

I've reset the bead on my 33" BFGs too many times to count with my little QuickAir II and no tank. A little lubricant is all you need, and eventually POP it goes!

Zuki-Ron said:
Save a few bucks on that compressor, buy it from Harbour Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93186
Yup--I've had it for a while and love it. I have a crappy little two-gallon Craftsman compressor meant for nailers and this does even better without a tank. That's not saying a whole lot, but for only $60 it was a screaming deal (especially considering it's basically the Viair 400p which costs over $200).

It filled my original 225/70/15 spare from 0 p.s.i. to 32 p.s.i. in 2 minutes 15 seconds (that includes about 10 seconds to use a reliable air gauge to check pressure and hook it back up after 55 sec.). It took one of my BFG 235/75/15s from 15 to 30 p.s.i. in about two minutes and that was at twenty-something degrees outside.

Back