• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Width Buildup

lickdj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone

So today I started to dig into my xj its been sitting for a year on a 6" Full Traction lift with 33" Baja claws. Today I purchased a 79 D44 with 1 Ton Brakes , however since its full width the 8.8 that I have waiting to go in is no longer any use to me.

So I was wondering who can tell me what the suitable years and makes are for a donor rear axle , so far im considering:

Dana 60 (my first thought)
14 Bolt
____ <--- Your suggestions here

Tommorow we will be pulling out the NP231 , as well as finishing off my fenders , removing both bumpers. And tommorow I will take some photo's.

The end plan for this thing will be moab , tellico etc. ready.
-Dana 300 , Flip kit in progress , 4:1 Gearing
-Full Exocage
-37x13.5x16 Claws I might grab 38x16x16 Claws used with 90% tread for a deal but conserned about final width
-Trailready Steel Beadlocks
-Corbeau Baja SS seats with 5 Point Harness's
-Warn 8274 winch
-Hydaulic ram assist

Depending on the width of the 44, Id like to see you toss a D70 in the rear '80s?
Thats me, Im sure someone else will chime in.
Sounds cool and huge, are you still using the FT6" or going another route?

I agree about the 70 being a little too much of a sacrafice in the ground clearance part... Obviously a 60 is a good option as it has TONS of aftermarket support, but unless you put 35 splines in it, it isn't all that much better than a 9 inch. With 37s and especially the 16 inch wide 38s, your 44 up front is gonna go boom sooner than later. Ideally for your tire size I'd go with matching 35 spline 60s or a 60 up front and 14 bolt in the rear, but as stated before, you are limited a little in the gearing with a 14 bolt. Also, if you are going to shave it, a truss would be in order just in case.

missed the crap down the bottom thought it was his sig,hehheeh

if you are jumping up to a 37~38 then you really need to put alloys up front.as mentioned above if you go 60 order 35 spline alloys for the back.now depending on what the 60 comes out of you will have to swap or ream out the hubs to allow the 35 splines to pass through.

what bracket kit do yo uplan to run up front?are you going to make your own?i used the RE kit but found that you have to cut about an 1 1/2 off the drivers side leaf perch to make it all fit and have it all on the tub like it should be

REbrackets4.sized.jpg

creeperjeep said:
Sounds cool and huge, are you still using the FT6" or going another route?
I dont want it to be too huge but right now its got the FT6" and 2" in spacers & blocks(temporary) i'll be adding to the rear leaf pack theres a few options for the front.

And here are some pictures of the axle that I bought yesterday http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92816

All the brackets will be made with the help of a friend that owns a cnc shop

Whatever axle I use will get shaved in the long run , first of all I dont ever see myself going lower then 5:13's so someone try to convince me on the 14 bolt if they can.

Right now it looks like dana 60 is how im going to go I just need to know what the best possible donor axle would be.

Wil Badger said:
now depending on what the 60 comes out of you will have to swap or ream out the hubs to allow the 35 splines to pass through.

So can you tell me what vehicle I can get a dana 60 that I wont have to ream out to get 35 spline shafts, in other words tell me which 60's come with 35 spline shafts.

Thanks for your info

lickdj said:
So can you tell me what vehicle I can get a dana 60 that I wont have to ream out to get 35 spline shafts, in other words tell me which 60's come with 35 spline shafts.

Thanks for your info

I think the kingpin 60s will allow 35 splines with little to no work up front

Just to make sure im clear , the Dana 44 I bought is a HP Front axle , so I need the rear axle. And I need to know from the pro's what vehicle and year you would go grab a rear Dana 60 out of.

lickdj said:
Just to make sure im clear , the Dana 44 I bought is a HP Front axle , so I need the rear axle. And I need to know from the pro's what vehicle and year you would go grab a rear Dana 60 out of.

Since it was out of a 79, yes I would imagine it is a high pinion, however what we are trying to tell you is that although the hp44 is a great axle, it isn't a great axle for the size tires you are wanting to run. You can build it up stronger than it's stock form, but eventually those 38s are gonna twists shafts and/or destroy your ring. It's your choice, but I would sell that 44 and get matching 60s... as for the 60s looks in the same year range you bought the 44 out of, but in one ton trucks... f250 or 350s

where are you cause I have a spare 60. I am in the process of doing a full size swap. I bought a 78 f150 got a 44hp front and a 9" rear the 9 is very cheap to build and there is plenty of disc brake kits for them that would be my recomendation the one I got had the 31 spline axles.

The Build Continues:

Ok i'll take 1 step backwards before I go any further , heres is a picture of when I started wheeling this xj.

abe.sized.jpg

Here is after the First Stage of modding.
aay.jpg

And heres After 2nd Stage of mods.

DJ_up.sized.jpg

In a couple minutes ill go snap a few pictures of what it looks like right now.

most of the later 60's i believe might have the larger hub assembly.i know it has been covered on here before so with some searching i'm sure you'll find the info. i just reamed mine to except the larger shafts

Last edited:
jeepxj89 said:
hey dj, good to see your putting kris' axle to use. can i still pick that tcase up from ya?

hey kyle , good to hear from yah , I lost your number and then rob gave it to me yesterday so I call once or twice yesterday , no answer. It will be out of the jeep today and at the latest tommorow.

Thanks D.J

Ok now im starting to focus more on how my braking system will looks. Im running 1 ton brakes front and rear with 37's and I want to be able to stop like I should. What needs to be upgraded and what can stay stock. I was looking at new master cylinders from tilton and have no idea on what size , series or bore I need.

So i've still got my jeep sitting in pieces at home. I picked up the 14 Bolt the other day and was taking the shafts out and cutting the stock perchs off when I pulled the diff cover I was happy to find a locker in the rear , still cant figure out if its a detriot or a GOV locker as I know detroits were common stock. Either one it will work fine temporary , after I get the heep on the road ill worry about the selectable lockers.

Work left
14 Bolt :
Take off stock perchs and put new ones on
Change from 4:10's to 4:56's and get master install kit

D44:
Take off current brackets and build new UCA mounts , coil perchs and T-bar mount
Have the brakes turned

Dana 300:
Clean empty 300 case
Cut out the flip kit at friends cnc shop

Other:
Get E-350 Master Cylinder
Driveshafts F & R
Exo-Cage

I work nightshift mon-thurs 9pm-6am so I get to work on my heep in the daytime and I have enought time to get alot done this week. Monday i'll go deal with the dana 300 and get my MC and try to get some help on my axle brackets.

I think its fair to say I have to remake my leaf perchs as someone made them and there thin material so do you guys think 1/4" is enough with basically 1 ton axles (1 1ton , 1 3/4ton) I want to make sure to material I use is capable of holding up to the weight and abuse.

Back