• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What woud be the minimum axles for 35" tires?

hp d30/ 29 spline 8.25

I've bead my d30 pretty hard with 34" ltb's and never had a problem. I carry shafts just in case though I'll be goin 4340 when I put my beadlocks on though.

Starscream918 said:
x2. If you aren't too heavy on the skinny pedal, a 29 spline 8.25 with upgraded shafts will do just fine. The same goes for the HPD30 - just add some stronger shafts. There are a number of people here running that combo.

I'm one of them. See my sig below for specs, but i have had no breakage yet(knock on wood) and i play in the rocks and on hills. Just have to know when to let out of the skinny pedal and keep your wheels straight when youre on it. A stock 44 will eat u-joints just like your 30 (theyre the same size) and typically when the joint lets go, it takes a shaft with it.

It all depends on wether or not you lock it and what type of terrain you play in. On the street, open/open, you could probably run 44's and replace ball joints and steering every other week. In the rocks, locked, i wouldnt run anything bigger than 35's on built hp30 and d44 or 29 spline 8.25

The reason I asked was there was a discussion on another board that got off track. I mentioned a 44/60 combo and was told it was over rated and basically a D30/8.8 combo was almost as strong stock for stock. All I could do was sit back and laugh. I mean, I beat on my XJ as hard as I can get away with(which is sometimes too much) and an 8.8 just isn't gonna cut it with 37's, 38's, etc for me.

Ex CCS Racer said:
The reason I asked was there was a discussion on another board that got off track. I mentioned a 44/60 combo and was told it was over rated and basically a D30/8.8 combo was almost as strong stock for stock. All I could do was sit back and laugh. I mean, I beat on my XJ as hard as I can get away with(which is sometimes too much) and an 8.8 just isn't gonna cut it with 37's, 38's, etc for me.

You would be amazed what an 8.8 will hold up to.

Ex CCS Racer said:
I wouldn't say a 44/60 is over-rated, but I would say it's over-kill if all you're going to run is a 35.

a 60 IS overkill for 35's. If I were going to run 37's or bigger I would look into a hp60 up front and big bearing 9" out back. They were right...a stock 44 isnt getting you much (if any) strength over your hp30. The real benefits of the 44 over the 30 are bigger balljoints, deeper gear choices, manual hubs, better brakes, and more steering options. a 44 will need to be built up just like the hp30 to take the abuse with 35's. Youre just starting with a better platform.

Wheel it on 35's with the 30 and 8.25 and you will be amazed at what it will put up with. You will also gain driving skill from having the added technicality of not being able to just floor it over every obstacle.

Back