• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dex III in the t case and what happened

DurbElites

NAXJA Forum User
ok i flushed the trans after i was advised to put the wrong fluid in so now my trans has Dex III. the t case i never had problems and when i bought it recently changed so i didn't worry about getting fluid. i put in the Dex III like the manual and other NAXJA members have told me and now when i try and shift into 4 hi doing anything above almost completely stopped (more than like 2 miles per hour) i can hear the gears go into 4 hi (almost like a grinding but not that bad yet) and when i went to 4 lo and step on the gas it goes for about 2 to 3 seconds and then kicks down into the reduced gears, when i stop and start over it does the same thing!:( whats the problem it has DexIII like the owners manual said. it worked perfect right before i changed the fluid, any ideas or should i try like royal purple or redline to see what happens? i don't need any problems with my dd so i need ideas or i am :hang:

not that i know of linkage wise because the gears are going in just and fully seated in place its just when they change over from 2 to 4hi that noise is heard and i doubt that its linkage because ten mins before it was fine. the dealer said they fill the t case up with Dex III and i could also use ATF +4. i have heard lots of people just say that Dex III is the only thing to put in and the ATF+4 is bad for it so i went with the DEX III and now this. anything else because the pump was working fine ten mins before.

Last edited:
would low fluid have anything to do with it? i filled it up but only drove it about a mile before i noticed it and pulled over. it was full when i left so maybe it needs a little more?

I/we use Mobil-1 ATF exclusively in all three or four of our jeeps transfer cases. I think my son put Amsoil synthetic in his when he replaced the tranny last month... I noticed that theres only a quart left in the gallon jug he got from joe attardo and the tranny does not take that much..

i just changed my t case and used 50% dexron III and 50% Lucas Oil stabilizer and i have yet to see any negative side effects. I have used Lucas products for years now and have never been let down. I will monitor the case and let you guys know if there were any negative side effects or positive.

DurbElites said:
would low fluid have anything to do with it? i filled it up but only drove it about a mile before i noticed it and pulled over. it was full when i left so maybe it needs a little more?
The shift forks are spring loaded so will shift only when gear dogs are lined up.
The reason you never heard anything before was because it was not shifting into 4WD at all.

it was shifting into 4hi and lo because about a week ago i went to pismo and got stuck and i had power to the front wheels sor sure i watched them spin.

DurbElites said:
it was shifting into 4hi and lo because about a week ago i went to pismo and got stuck and i had power to the front wheels sor sure i watched them spin.
Right but you would gave been pretty much stopped when you shifted then.

ok i feel like an idiot and i have figured it out.:banghead: i completely forgot that the way i had my car parked was uphill (idiot) and there was not enough fluid for the t case. anyways parked downhill and filled up the other almost 1 quart and it works fine. i am not normally stupid i just think yesterday was a bad day.:dunce:

DurbElites said:
ok i feel like an idiot and i have figured it out.:banghead: i completely forgot that the way i had my car parked was uphill (idiot) and there was not enough fluid for the t case. anyways parked downhill and filled up the other almost 1 quart and it works fine. i am not normally stupid i just think yesterday was a bad day.:dunce:

You need another reboot, it's supposed to be L-E-V-E-L or you'll over fill it.. :D

Don't beat yourself up to bad....we all have our days...someday I'll tell you about my MAP sensor day..well it actually turned in to months.
I also decided to change my TC fluid too, noticed it looked really, REALLY dark, with a touch of metal flake (Hmmmm..) Turns out that some had put gear oil in it....DUH!!!!.
Thanks to someone in here I picked up another 242 TC,free of charge. Turns out the noise I was hearing was the flexplate not the TC, but it was only a matter of time b-4 it went.

Back