• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Rock Rails or Bolt on Rock Rails

which would you choose?

• Replacement Rock Rails

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Bolt On Rock Rails

Votes: 50 76.9%

• Total voters
i dont understand the question. what do you have now? what are you looking for in a rock rail?

i am shopping for rock rails currently and i am looking for a 2x4ish square rail that gives me solid slider protection, but also have a "step" that sticks out far enough so that if i get against a tree it will hit the rail and not damage the door skins.

-tim

it all depends what you want to do with your XJ.

i ran bolt on rock rails for years before finally going to replacement rockers. i ended up going with the replacements for the addational clearance i gained (almost 4 inches).

however, i would not just weld the replacements to the sheet metal if you actually plan on using them. they will not last if you wheel big rocks. they need to be tied into the framerail (or cage).

my 2 cents

I have upgraded from my home brew rails to AJ's super sqaure rock rails. They have held up well, but have slightly bent upward on this one hard impact. They also act as a step and a guard to keep my doors away from damage. I voted for the bolt on, because I dont have those kind of fabrication skills to make some built in. AJ's is a good product and a good price.

Nicely done Randy. Its cool to see what the internal structure of these things looks like without tearing into it myself. I appreciate the work you are doing.

Ben H said:
I have upgraded from my home brew rails to AJ's super sqaure rock rails. They have held up well, but have slightly bent upward on this one hard impact. They also act as a step and a guard to keep my doors away from damage. I voted for the bolt on, because I dont have those kind of fabrication skills to make some built in. AJ's is a good product and a good price.

X2 for AJ's...had mine for over 2 years and haven't had a problem yet

Thats nice Randy. I will do the somthing similar eventually. Thanks for the pics in the rock crawling thread by the way.

Im going to do replacement rockers soon I think. Im not sure how to tie it into the frame rails yet though i havent seen anyone else do that, Only into there cages.

jeepnuts311 said:
i dont understand the question. what do you have now? what are you looking for in a rock rail?

i am shopping for rock rails currently and i am looking for a 2x4ish square rail that gives me solid slider protection, but also have a "step" that sticks out far enough so that if i get against a tree it will hit the rail and not damage the door skins.

-tim

i was wondering what people had / prefer

cutting out the rocker panel as a whole and welding in rock sliders

or

bolt on rock sliders

mwm said:
Im going to do replacement rockers soon I think. Im not sure how to tie it into the frame rails yet though i havent seen anyone else do that, Only into there cages.

DSC00098.JPG

I have never done a replacement rocker so I dont have a one to one comparision but I do have AJ's rails and highly reccomend them. I have slid on one or both of them at least a dozen times since I put them on last fall. They work great. They pickup the rock just as it comes off the tire and pass it back to the rear tire beautifully.

I have dropped hard on to one rock rail 3 or 4 times (a foot or more drop) when I "fell" off my line. No damage to the rails, no damage to the Jeep.

AJ's is easy to deal with and the price is very good.

John

For those of you who have AJ's stuff, how did you order them? I can't find ordering info on his website and have sent him an email with no reply. Is there a secret handshake I need to learn before I can get some of these?

Thanks,
clay

FWIW there is a forum on the aj site -- theres a note about the guy being sick or something.

Back