• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cruise control

drkstrurethane

NAXJA Forum User
on my 93 xj the cruise control works sometimes and sometimes it doesnt whats going on?

Check all the wiring and vacuum lines. I have heard that the wires sometimes short inside the steering column. Check the vacuum bottle and its connections as well.

Once that’s all checked and known to be in working order you may have a servo failing.
I had a problem on my cruise where it would refuse to work for the first 25-30 min after the ignition had been shut off (even if only off long enough to get fuel). It progressed to the point the cruise would only come on every now and then.
I finally replaced the servo and turn signal / cruise control unit and all works well again.

I found a brand new Mopar system on eBay for <$80. They come up every now and then. I think it took all of about 45-60 min to install. The hardest part was fishing the new wires through the column.

Bones :skull1:

i-1.JPG

The steering column on the older XJ's was manufactured by General Motors, and uses the standard GM cruise control switch integrated into the turn signal stalk.

This switch is NOTORIOUS for failing. Actually, it's not the switch that fails, but the small wiring harness that goes from the switch down thru the inside of the column to a connector under the dash. The wires are small in guage, and threaded through a ton of other junk in the column. They flex in normal use, and end up breaking inside the insulation. The result is erratic cruise operation.

You can find the end of the connector under the dash and check out it's continuity, or for about $40, just buy a replacement switch at the local parts house. They are sold under the "HELP" brand name.

I would bet that is the source of your troubles. The rest of the cruise system is pretty robust.

I am having the same problem with my 93. Do you have to take the steering wheel off to change this out? The chilton manual that I have looked at doesn't address this very well.

awt28 said:
I am having the same problem with my 93. Do you have to take the steering wheel off to change this out? The chilton manual that I have looked at doesn't address this very well.

To change out the turn signal stalk/CC switch, here is what must be done:

1. remove steering wheel (you do have a steering wheel puller, right?)
2. remove horn switch assy
3. remove steering wheel lock plate (again you will need a special tool used to remove these on GM type columns)
4. remove turn signal stalk from turn signal lever arm.
5. remove turn signal lever from end of turn signal switch
6. unbolt turn signal switch from top of column
7. disconnect CC wiring harness under dash, and pull old CC switch wiring out of column
8. thread new wiring harness for CC switch back down column, and reassemble in reverse.

I found that the only way I could thread the new CC switch wiring harness down the column without pinching it in the tilt mechanism or the ignition switch push-pull rod was to remove the outer decorative shroud around the upper part of the column. WHAT A PITA.

Unless you are already adept at working on GM-type columns, figure 2-3 hours to do this job, with all the right tools.

The following web site might help. It's about how to fix a tilt-type GM column, but it also shows how the turn signal stalk goes together in photo form.

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

Good luck.

I have gone thru this on my 90 and my 92. Both had broken wires at the end of the turn signal stalk. Replaced with the GM part from AutoZone. On the 90 I went thru all the disassembly and pulled the cable thru the steering column, big PITA. On the 92 I just pushed the stalk into the socket and ran the cable down the outside until it reached the trim under the column, not very noticable.
On the 90 the conector on the replacement was a direct plugin. On the 92 I had cut off the plug on the new cable and splice on the old one. It takes some study with a continuity testor to figure out the connections. There diagrams in the Haynes or Chilton, but I believe the colors given are all wrong.
Have fun,
Larry A.

same problem here!! Thanks for the info. I guess it's time to tear the column apart!!! Mine affects the ws washer too. Drives me nuts!

YMMV, but I did not have to remove the steering wheel and stuff on my '91. I tied a wire to the old switch's wire harness and pulled it up through the column, then taped that pulled wire to the new switches wire harness and fed it back down the column. Wasn't easy and you have to be very careful not to put too much pressure on the wires but it went in and works great. I would try it this way first, if it gets jammed then disassemble the column and run it. At worst you have only wasted the time you spent trying to snake the wires, at best you save several hours of work.
This is the method that the factory install sheet described for install of the Mopar set I bought. Yea I actually :rtm: .

Bones said:
YMMV, but I did not have to remove the steering wheel and stuff on my '91. I tied a wire to the old switch's wire harness and pulled it up through the column, then taped that pulled wire to the new switches wire harness and fed it back down the column.

That method is theoretically possible to use. whereby the old wire acts as a fish line for the new wire. I tried that on my '92, and immediately ran into a problem where the CC wire harness ran THROUGH the MIDDLE of the turn signal switch wire harness. Apparently its' kind of random as to how those two harnesses thread through the column, and if you are lucky, they are not intertwined. If yours is like mine was, they WERE intertwined, and the only safe way to route the new cable is by opening up the column jacket.

Back