• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Tow Hooks With Stock Bumper

JPWilson

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I would like to know if anyone had pics of the factory tow hook locations for the front (or at least if someone could explain please). I'd like to keep the stock bumper and I already bought some hooks. By the way, I did search and I found out how to mount the rear tow hooks but I didn't find much info for the front. I wheel zuks so I'm a little new to XJs. I have a 99' XJ with a 2" inch lift. Any help would be appreciated!:cheers:

Do a search here for "tow hook brackets" and I think you'll find a good bit of information, including some pictures of the factory brackets.

Because the XJ frame is not really a frame, but a part of the unibody, you cannot safely mount tow hooks to it without reinforcement. Otherwise you run the risk of tearing the front frame apart. The brackets attach to the frame behind the front bumper, and include a bolt that passes through a specially reinforced hole in the frame. The factory brackets include front bumper brackets welded on, so they differ between 84-96 and 97-01.

I use a ft recever hitch. runs close to the same money and stiffens the frame at the same time.

DSC01576.JPG

DSC01581.JPG

DSC01650.JPG

I use the Custom4x4fab tow hooks and they work very well. The install was reasonably easy (just tedious) and the fit was excellent. The only gotch was the airdam clearance is tight and may require trimming; the end of the hook is touching the valence. I didn't do that because there is an interesting side effect: the airdam will hold your towstrap in place regardless of how much slack there is....no need to sit under the bumper and babysit the strap 'til taught.

Back