• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine cutting out when I hit bumps

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my 93 is cutting out when i hit a bump of any magnatude or let the hood slam shut, but will just keep on running like nothing happened a second later. could this be my cps? any other ideas?

Ive already checked the grounds, it has a new battery, new tps, new O2 sensor

I really need some help here guys

sounds like something loose to me. Check all connectors and grounds. Pay particuar attention to the braided grounds strap attached to the firewall.

dzraces said:
Ok my 93 is cutting out when i hit a bump of any magnatude or let the hood slam shut, but will just keep on running like nothing happened a second later. could this be my cps? any other ideas?

Ive already checked the grounds, it has a new battery, new tps, new O2 sensor

I really need some help here guys

A long shot here, but is there any chance your battery is hitting the underside of your hood? This happened to my dad's car once. Same symptoms.

:party: I wouldnt hit bumps anymore or slam hoodhasta LOL

I had a 93 ZJ that did the same thing. Turned out that all of the computer grounds go back to the battery on a single 18-gauge black wire that has a connector between the battery and passenger fender. That connector was corroded and damaged (likely when I replaced the battery).

It was the hardest thing to trace down as the ZJ would die when I hit a pothole, but usually started right back up or started after I towed it home. It finally stayed dead after the 3rd time towing it home and I found it by tracing grounds at the computer connector.

I'd start with the grounds and battery connections.

I would just replace that braided strap. Yhey oftan the get oxidation in them and look good, but have a high resistance, or quit conducting when disturbed.

langer1 said:
Slamming the hood would not jar the whole engine enough to shake a CPS even if they were sensitive to shaking.

Langer,

Are you saying the CPS isn't prone to this behavior? I have replaced two of them with the same symptoms. The wiring runs so close to the exhaust manifold, sometimes it will melt and the wires will short out on the manifold when going over bumps.

Not trying to be a d1ck or anything. I know you know your stuff. Just looking for a little clarity.

cherokee89 said:
Langer,

Are you saying the CPS isn't prone to this behavior? I have replaced two of them with the same symptoms. The wiring runs so close to the exhaust manifold, sometimes it will melt and the wires will short out on the manifold when going over bumps.

Not trying to be a d1ck or anything. I know you know your stuff. Just looking for a little clarity.
Burnt wires from a sloppy installation are but not the CPS itself.

One thing you may want to check: fuel pump wires. I know someone with a '91 who had the same problem; eventually, she tracked it down to the fuel pump wiring (it wasn't tied to the body in a couple of places, and contact was breaking inside the insulation at random) after a number of mechanics had failed to come up with anything.

Back