• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't start!!!!!

Tex-j

NAXJA Forum User
While playing offroad I whent through a water hole that was a LOT deeper than the week before. As soon as I hit the water the jeep died. Anyway tow it home and get the water out of the intake, change the fluids, and give it a couple of days to dry out. Today I tried to start it and it cranks but won't fire. I have fuel pressure, and spark now that I replaced the cps, but now I don't know what else to do. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked the distributer cap for moisture?

if there is water droplets in there, i would go buy another one.

It has a new cap and rotor, coil, optima battery, alternator, and starter, all due to a misshap on the trail a week earier. Unfornately I just sold my "TOY" so now the xj is my daly driver. Must get it running and quick.

So if you got fuel - spark - thats 2 out of 3 , did you check compression and spark plugs, other than that i dont know.

How did you check for spark?

As JD10000 suggests, pull the plugs and check the tips. Make sure they're clean and properly gapped. Crank the engine a few turns with no plugs in to clear out the cylinders.

Check all of the connectors in the engine bay. Some moisture may still be in some of them.

Try using some starter fluid while cranking. Maybe some water got into the fuel system.

Ok so I checked my spark again and I have spark from the coil but none from the distributor. I also checked my injectors with this nifty new tool I got from matco. I have fuel preassure but the injectors aren't pulsing. Could it be the computer? The water did get pretty high inside the jeep when I got stuck. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

If you could please post the year and engine I might be able to look up factory manual info.

Since you have spark coming out of the coil you can assume the crank position sensor (CKP) is good as it controls spark timing. Since you have no spark coming out of the distributor it could be the distributor, shaft, or drive gear.

You said you have fuel pressure during cranking, so that means the automatic shutdown relay (ASD) and feed fuse are good. While you are cranking check for 12V using a test light at your injectors. There is one wire color in common with all the injectors, and the other wire will be a different color at each injector. The 12V will be on the common wire. If you don't have that then there's a problem with the ASD feed to the injectors. If you do have that and they are not firing, it could be the cam position sensor (CMP) as it controls fuel injector timing.

Gotta go cook dinner now though. I'll check back later.

Last edited:
Pull the cap off the distributor and check for corrosion or moisture. Just because the cap and rotor are new, doesn't mean the water didn't mess them up. Also make sure that the distributor is turning. While you're in there, check the pickup sensor in the distributor.

It's a 88 modle with the staight six. The cap and rotor were replaced after I got it wet, so I know there is no moisture in there. I have a tool that I got from matco that plugs into the injector clip and lights up if there is any power coming through. Thats how I determined that I wasn't getting an injector pulse. Is this similar to what you were describing above?

Go to Advance and pick up a loaner code reader (for RENIX). I would not be surprised one bit if you managed to fry your ECU, TCU, or some other very important computer part.

For the life of me, I will never understand why vaccuum controls were abandoned in favor of computers. My 1984 Ford 302 Bronco has been running fine for years, and not a single computer on board.

You may think I'm a jack ass for asking this but I'm going to anyway. Remember this is my first jeep and only my second vehicle that isn't a chevy. With that said what the hell is a renix? After the expanation feel free to crack all the jokes you want.

Thought I would give you guys an update on the progress so far. I picked up a new computer at my local junkyard (for free!!!! gotta love geting in tight with theese guys) and when I started to remove my old one water started running out of it. Needless to say I think I found my big problem. The only thing is it still wont start. It's trying a lot harder though. Now it will fire it just won't actualy stay running. I have an injector pulse now and I also have spark to the plugs. Now I ask you what the hell do I try next!?!
Thanks for all of your help, and any further advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
Tyler

Did you turn the engine over with the plugs out? It has been asked already but you never gave an answer on that. If you haven't than there is a very good chance that there is still water in there.

Kim.

Sorry, yeah that was the first thing that I did after we pulles it out of the water. It was kinda cool water shot like ten feet in the air. I guess it would have been even cooler if it wasn't my jeep that was doing it though.lol

I unplugged all the connectors under the hood just incase any water had gotten in them. I let it dry out for a couple of days before hooking them back up so to my knowledge they should all be dry. I also pulled the entire air box out and dried it then put in a new filter. I swear I think I have tried all of the small stuff but I'm probably overlooking something realy obvious.

Just thought I would let you guys know I finaly got her running. The computer was the main problem. After that I bought a can of electrical parts cleaner and sprayed down every connection under the hood. Then with two squirts of starting fluid and crossed fingers she started up. A little rough at first but now she's purring like nothing ever happened. Thanks for all the input I realy appreciate it. Now I just gotta see about paying some dues so I can be a real member and have my name in fancy red letters like theese other guys.

Back