• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

super 35 kit

The Super 35 kit is a good kit, but only you can decide if it's worth the price. The axle shafts are the same diameter and spline count as a Dana 44, so that aspect is even-up. The D35 ring and pinion are smaller than the D44, but that's not usually what breaks in a D35 anyway. The weakness seems to be mostly the diff housing itself and the relatively thin axle tubes. If the vehicle is taken off-road and really flexed up, the axle assembly gets distorted so the axle shafts aren't running true, and that screws up the spider gears in the diff.

That's the reason Superior Axle & Gear developed that fancy truss for the D35. It eliminates virtually ALL flex from the assembly so the Super 35 kit (or stock axles and gears) can survive under severe stress. If this is for a street machine on large tires I think the Super 35 kit would do the job. If you take it off-road, I would do it only with the truss -- and between the Super 35 kit and the truss, you can spend as much as buying a custom Dana 44 new.

Hmm, that's interesting. Do you recommend strengthening the casing/tubing on a standard 35? I'm putting in a new carrier and no-slip right now, don't want to break it because the housing flexing... maybe I could weld something on top to stiffen up the tubes? Do the tubes themselves bend along the length, or does the housing flex where the tubes meet the housing?

Amund2 said:
Hmm, that's interesting. Do you recommend strengthening the casing/tubing on a standard 35? I'm putting in a new carrier and no-slip right now, don't want to break it because the housing flexing... maybe I could weld something on top to stiffen up the tubes? Do the tubes themselves bend along the length, or does the housing flex where the tubes meet the housing?

I would like that answer to that as well. I'm running a stock rearend and only 31"s but I do flex it up a lot (6" of lift). I think making a truss would be a good "peace of mind" item but is it really needed?

It wouldn't hurt to truss the housing in anyway. I wheel with a guy who owns his own custom jeep shop and his xj has 37 claws on a super 35 and it wount die. hes gone up helicopter pad at telico on it for all its woth and it didn't let go so as long as you truss it you should be fine. but if you can find a 44 it may be just as cheap to build that. If you already have a 35 with the gears you want and maybe a dick brake kit then the price isn't so bad.

Back