• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing gas tank

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing my dented in tank with a new one and adding a beefed up stock skid.

It looks like when running the steel skid you leave the poly one off? Do I need to cut it down and run the strips of it under the bands?

How does the pump/sender assembly come out of an 89 tank? Looks like you just have to get a grip on it somehow and twist it a 1/4 of a turn to me.

Thanks

Yes you want the strips under the bands. The pump is held in with a lock down ring. So you turn the ring first and remove it then work the pump out.

The lock ring can be hammered off and back on with a NON-FERROUS punch (to avoid sparks and the consequent earth-shattering kaboom). A piece of aluminum or brass rod or other stock works fine. Even hardwood in a pinch. Once the ring is off, you can tip the sender out. Be careful not to bend the arm on the gauge sender. It can be hard to get the lock ring seated over a new O-ring. It helps to file the bevels on the tabs a little sharper so they will enter under the tabs in the tank a little more readily.

The last new tank I got came with a new lock ring and O-ring, but I opened the box in the dark and didn't see them. I went all over creation hunting for a new O-ring, finally got one for 6 bucks or so (list price I think is $5.65, but the honest dealers didn't have one. One dealer quoted me 18!) and then found the little bag the next week when I went to recycle the box.

Back