• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick fix solutions ???

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Any quick fix solutions anybody can think of for a stripped auto tranny pan bolt. It's one of the front corner ones, goes in and spins. Now keep in mind, it's 6pm sunday nite and everything is closed here now.
The way I see it is pickup a helicoil tomorrow and put that in. Tap to the next size up and put a new bolt in. He's refilling it now so we can see if it leaks for his round trip to work. It is a 999 AT.

Hmmm. no leaks so far, ran it for 20 minutes or so, will stick a piece of white cardboard under there tonight and look for red spots in the morning. Boy that AT fluid is stinky cooking off the exhaust pipe...

Two possible fixes;

1. drill and tap hole for next larger bolt size. Since the AW-4 is a Japanese trans, the pan bolts are almost certainly metric. The next size up in thread may be an SAE (English) thread.

2. buy a helicoil to recreate the threads in the stripped hole. This is probably how the dealer would fix this. Helicoils are ussually available from the larger parts houses (NAPA). Maybe places like AutoZone would carry them, but I would bet first on NAPA. Bring a pan bolt to allow them to match the proper helicoil.

Thats the plan, we left the other bolt out and no leaks so far. He will hit napa tomorrow on the way in or back and provided the monsoons hold off for a while we will get it done tomorrow sometime. I put a fine coat of indian head on the pan side to hold the gasket in place while he put the pan on and let that dry.
Reminds me, a friend of his borrowed my tap and drill set to make a shorty shifter on his honda, should have had it back by now unless he's waiting for sears to open tomorrow to replace a die I bet....

that is a goos thing to use the same size bolt head. Rigging up different bolt sizes just urks me. I agree with kejtar. But you might want to try an easy-out set to get that to work.

With helicoil you still use the same size bolt. [/QUOTE]
But don't you have to drill that hole out a bit more to use the helicoil???

Kejtar said:
With helicoil you still use the same size bolt.

But don't you have to drill that hole out a bit more to use the helicoil???
[/QUOTE]

Yes you do. You drill it out to the helicoil tap size, tap it with the helicoil tap, thread in the helicoil insert, (think of the threads from a bolt) and screw the same size bolt in. This is used extensively in aircraft parts that are made from aluminum.

Don't know, never used one before, will find out, hope it's not another one of those 'helper tools" like easy outs that make a PIA job a nitemare LOL

I can see their advantages for the top fuelers in a quick rebuild situation where aluminum strips pretty easy, can you remove the helicoil and put a new one it, they do come back out don't they ?? Or are they a 'one shot deal'. Just curious, I don't see an issue here, 1/2" SAE bolt, should be pretty straight forward. Course I said and thought that about using an easyout to remove a bumper bolt on our YJ, Should have just drilled it out to begin with, ended up drilling out bolt AND the broken easy out.

RichP said:
I can see their advantages for the top fuelers in a quick rebuild situation where aluminum strips pretty easy, can you remove the helicoil and put a new one it, they do come back out don't they ?? Or are they a 'one shot deal'. Just curious, I don't see an issue here, 1/2" SAE bolt, should be pretty straight forward. Course I said and thought that about using an easyout to remove a bumper bolt on our YJ, Should have just drilled it out to begin with, ended up drilling out bolt AND the broken easy out.

You can get them out, but you have to destroy them most of the time. On blind holes you bottom them out, on through holes, there is a special snap tool that removes the installation tang. there is special tools for each size of helicoil, but for a one shot deal you can thread it in with needle nose or a screwdriver. Look up helicoil on a search engine and you can get an idea what it is all about.

Back