• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do you think?

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
i just lifted my xj 6.5.haven't had a chance to drive it yet as i am also in the middle of tearing out the miles of useless and potential faulty wiring(crappy alarm,two trailer light that dont work along with the fog lamps that dont work!!!).anyways i'm going to run it with the stock yoke and driveshaft with no transfer case drop.as i got a quote on the yoke($260)and shaft($380)and cant afford both and need both to get the damn thing to move.what i am wondering is this going to do any damage to the tranny or transfer case as it will be at least a couple months before i can fork over that kind of doe.one thing comes to mind for these parts HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!!!!!!

I've run my 90 with a 6-1/2" lift for a year now with stock drive shafts & no transfer case drop and I don't seem to have any problems on or off-road. It will tend to wander a little but from I can tell this is normal after a 4.5 + lift.

mudrat said:
i just lifted my xj 6.5.haven't had a chance to drive it yet as i am also in the middle of tearing out the miles of useless and potential faulty wiring(crappy alarm,two trailer light that dont work along with the fog lamps that dont work!!!).anyways i'm going to run it with the stock yoke and driveshaft with no transfer case drop.as i got a quote on the yoke($260)and shaft($380)and cant afford both and need both to get the damn thing to move.what i am wondering is this going to do any damage to the tranny or transfer case as it will be at least a couple months before i can fork over that kind of doe.one thing comes to mind for these parts HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!!!!!!

do you need to drive it on road at all... you could potentially get extremely serious vibrations that will make it virtually undriveable with an SYE and shaft... could always do an RE hack n tap and junk yard shaft if you got time, but no money

YOU HAVENT HAD THE SHAFT OR YOKE SNAP OR COME OFF? NO BINDING? HOW MUCH SPLINE IS SHOWING AT FULL FLEX.WHAT KIND OF WHEELING DO YOU DO MUD ROCK?SIZE OF TIRES YOUR RUNNING. SORRY IF I'M BEING BLUNT JUST MORE USE TO TOYOTA WHERE ITS WELD AND GO!!!!

lilredrover:ya i got to drive it on the road i have adjustable control arms so that s good. but i cant see spending $600+ on a shaft and sye unless you guys know of anyone cheaper. i would rather stay away from the hack and tap as i have heard they fail prematurely

at 6.5 inches the only really good way to get your pinion angle right is drop brackets or long arms... but that's neither here nor there when the tcase is concerned... they say on older XJs you can get away with more lift and no driveline mods, and newers ones need SYE and such with smaller lifts... I guess it comes down to your preference and how you think it drives... we could say yeah you'll need it or no you won't, but it's really case by case situation... is it better to have an SYE and nice shaft with all lifted applications... yes, but is it necessary, no... not always at least...

offroadtoystore.com....they get the tom woods and Sye package for 480 or somethin...free shipping...you give them specs...they'll build it for ya....

mudrat said:
YOU HAVENT HAD THE SHAFT OR YOKE SNAP OR COME OFF? NO BINDING? HOW MUCH SPLINE IS SHOWING AT FULL FLEX.WHAT KIND OF WHEELING DO YOU DO MUD ROCK?SIZE OF TIRES YOUR RUNNING. SORRY IF I'M BEING BLUNT JUST MORE USE TO TOYOTA WHERE ITS WELD AND GO!!!!

Look guys I'm just tell'en what I have and how I use it, Im not mak'en up stories.

YES I DRIVE TO ON THE STREET AT TIMES, USUALLY ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK AND DO 4.0 TRAILS AT LEAST EVERY TWO WEEKS.

I FLAT TOW IT TO N.M. & FLORANCE JUNCTION AREA in AZ, (AND FURTER) ON THE INTERSTATE AT 65 - 70 MPH AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.

but then that's just me.

Last edited:
I took a front shaft to the driveline shop and had them extend it to fit my rear jb conversions hd sye and re 5.5" lift....cost $80.00.You could go with the re hack and tap that will probably cost $100 or so.For around 180-$200.00 you'll be set.

Last edited:
LOWTECH said:
Look guys I'm just tell'en what I have and how I use it, Im not mak'en up stories.

YES I DRIVE TO ON THE STREET AT TIMES, USUALLY ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK AND DO 4.0 TRAILS AT LEAST EVERY TWO WEEKS.

I FLAT TOW IT TO N.M. & FLORANCE JUNCTION AREA in AZ, (AND FURTER) ON THE INTERSTATE AT 65 - 70 MPH AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.

but then that's just me.

Sorry I left some stuff out

I'm running 35x12.50 M/T TrXus on 15x10 rims with soft air pletts for balancing. Play mostly in the rocks & a little sand, heck it hardly ever rains in AZ so not a whole lot of mud.

well oregons the mud state not much rocks to flex on besides tillamook forest and a couple other places.so i will probaly be goos until moab nexy year but thats another year and alot of overtime thank god for unions.

Back