• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loose brakes/axle?

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
Here's a problem in need of a remedy.

The rear brakes will screech coming to a stop. The drum is ok, the pad surface is fine, however the part closest to the wall of the drum is very shiny, as if it was rubbing on the wall of the drum. Moving the assembly by hand gives a bit of play... as I know little about vehicles, let alone axles my thought was... the axle is loose. But I am not sure if axles can be loose.
Could a "C" clip be broken? Could wear have caused a gap? Could the brakes be assmbled improperly causing them to rub when the brakes are applied?

Did a search for brake/axle problems... couldn't find anything like this.
Any and all replies are appreciated.

Definatly not a "C" clip, the drum would move with the axle and away from the shoes, and you would know it, the axle would come out. I would make sure the right shoes and/or drums are on it and that the brakes are properly installed. The axle would have to move inward to hit the brake shoes, this would indicate that the differential center shaft has a problem, Highly unlikely.

It's really easy to see if an axle is loose. Jack up the wheel and pull in and out. A C-clip axle will normally have a little end play, just enough to feel, but it shouldn't be much, and certainly shouldn't be enough to cause any part of the brake to rub where it shouldn't. But you don't say what year and type of axle you have, so if it's an older XJ (before 1989 or so) it might not have C-clips, and those axles should be pretty snug.

Make sure your adjusters are working properly, because if the shoe has to travel too far the end can sometimes chatter or grab. Hand adjust them to make sure. Also see if the hold-down springs for the shoes are still good. They can rust or break at the point where they contact the shoe, and cause a shoe to move sideways. Check out the nice big diagram Langer1 posted in reply to my "mis-assembled brakes" post a couple of spaces up.

Also check for separation of the lining from the shoe. Here in the rust belt they sometimes fall apart before they wear out.

Sorry I didn't mention the type... little embarrased here, its the better halfs ride and its a 92 Ford Explorer... its no exscuse but I figured the rear ends can't be too different so any ideas that may fix this problem I could look into on hers.
Thanks for the help given, I apologize for misleading you both, and any others that felt bad for my situation... I will be hanging my head in shame for a little while.

Check for cracks in the shoes, glazing on the drum and shoe friction surfaces. Check to make sure the lining isn't separating from the backing on the shoes. Make sure all the hardware is in place, springs are tight, adjusters are working and shoes are properly adjusted. Also make sure that the contact surfaces on the backing plate - where the shoes meet the backing plate - are lubed a little bit with some caliper grease or Anti-Sieze.

The Ford 8.8" rear, which is in the Explorer, does have noticable end play in the axle shafts...that's normal.

Back