• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For all you Rigid Co people, look here.

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
If you own a Rigid Co rear tire carrier, go out to your jeep now and inspect the welds on the tire carrier. I had some crazy noises in the rear of my jeep for the past few days and I finally tracked them down to the tire carrier when I had to open up the liftgate. The support arm welds cracked as well as one of the main gusset welds. I have a BFG 35x12.50 on there, so it is pretty heavy, although, I haven't been offroad since I installed it, so it only took road abuse to crack these welds. Just be careful and check them before you loose a heavy tire on the road. I sent these pictures to Terry, and hopefully this is an isolated incident, but make sure your jeep is safe.

standard

standard

standard

standard

standard

standard

Hmmmm...

Looks like the piece was tacked on and never completely welded.

That was my thought, but I'm not positive. I ground all the old welds off and welded it back up and welded all around the support, so maybe that'll hold. Just figured I'd let people know.

ruggedjeep said:
checked mine, seems fine to me. Im running a 33" with a jerry can mount and a hi-lift so its also pretty heavy. no signs of cracked welds..

When you passed me on the freeway last night, it looked like your rear bumper has a full load :)

Seems to me there was a whiney SOB not too long ago that had some issues with a vendeor, he could learn much from this thread.

Bent said:
Seems to me there was a whiney SOB not too long ago that had some issues with a vendeor, he could learn much from this thread.

I'm sorry, I don't follow..... For what it's worth, this seems to be an isolated issue and not anything to worry about. Terry's bumpers are excellent quality and for some reason, mine broke. There could be a million reasons why it broke and I'm not pointing any fingers, but fixing broken stuff is the nature of this sport. Anyways, I was hoping to inform people that my welds broke and they might want to look at theirs is all.

53guy said:
I'm sorry, I don't follow..... For what it's worth, this seems to be an isolated issue and not anything to worry about. Terry's bumpers are excellent quality and for some reason, mine broke. There could be a million reasons why it broke and I'm not pointing any fingers, but fixing broken stuff is the nature of this sport. Anyways, I was hoping to inform people that my welds broke and they might want to look at theirs is all.
In the thread Bent is talking about the guy said XXXXX is a piece of crap, don't buy from them & everything they make is junk. You presented your info in a much better way. JIM.

ah, ok. just wanted to make sure i wasn't accusing anyone of crappy products or making it seem like i was whining.

ILLXJ said:
In the thread Bent is talking about the guy said XXXXX is a piece of crap, don't buy from them & everything they make is junk. You presented your info in a much better way. JIM.

What Jim said.

Just wanted to follow up....through my talks with Terry, it looks like somehow my bumper managed to have the template tire carrier welded onto it, so it wasn't ever supposed to look like that. He tried to send me another one, but I just welded it up anyhow so I didn't see what good another one would be. Just thought I'd finish up the thread with positive comments for Rigid Co.

Back