• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running short distance with 2 bolts in crossmember?

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I was just working on doing a T-Case drop on my bros '01 and I broke the two bolts off. However the 2 studs I got out just fine and replaced with the longer bolts. My question is...I'm not too good at drilling/tapping, could he drive it like a mile with the two front bolts in to take it to a Midas/Car-X kind of deal to get them drilled/tapped? I'm just concerned that the crossmember will sag enough to rip the bolts out of the threads. Let me know ASAP what you guys think.
TIA,
Collin

Never mind on this, decided it just wasn't a good, safe idea.

If you can fix it without driving, it's definitely better. But it is possible to go without them for a short time. I had one stud break off and went without it for a good week until I could get it into the shop. Then later I had a problem with the fix they did and went without it for about 3 weeks. I made sure that all my driving was on-road only and I could still see wear marks from the crossmember moving, and it still had the other three bolts in there. If you end up not being able to do it yourself, I think you'll be ok to drive it to a shop, but IMO I wouldn't push my luck beyond that.

Back