• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'91 to '94 axles

oopsbilly

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been covered many times, and I'm probably gonna get yelled at by someone for this, but I have a question. I have a '91 xj with a d30 discon front and need to know if a '94 nondis axle will slide right in, with a seal change of course. I bought the axle, not doing my research first (oops) and have heard probs with clearances at the rotor, etc.Is this true, or am I being bulls@#$%d.I'm about to do ALOT of work in a short amount of time and am really needing everything to go as smoothly as possible.

Yeah, just change the seals.

I have never heard of rotor clearance probs. Maybe that started when someone switched a D30 from another year and had to change the knuckles? I had to do that.

Bad advice... iits more than just "change the seals". the driver side is fine as is but the pass side seal is outboard of the disco housing and its a larger ID seal. 1 piece shafts have a smaller Dia sealing surface than the 2 piece shafts and its also located just outboard of the carrier bearing. You must pull the shafts, carrier and press a new seal. and its not just another D30 axle seal.

Rawbrown said:
Bad advice... iits more than just "change the seals". the driver side is fine as is but the pass side seal is outboard of the disco housing and its a larger ID seal. 1 piece shafts have a smaller Dia sealing surface than the 2 piece shafts and its also located just outboard of the carrier bearing. You must pull the shafts, carrier and press a new seal. and its not just another D30 axle seal.

I should have said "change the seal to the different seal?" Sorry, I thought that is what he was refering to.

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARD30shafts297andSeals/D30shafts297andSeals.htm

Its might be a little bit different, but you will undrstand.

Sorry, if i was unclear before.

Jesse

ya, sorry about that, I meant different seal as well. I found a kit from yukon with a seal and cover plate for the vacuum motor. does anyone know if this is the right seal or not?? I've seen some kits of the same sort that have the wrong seal. If anyone knows the correct seal that would be great. I can do without the extra cover plate and saving a few bucks always helps as well. Thanx

Back