• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Stupid Stupid (Brakes)

Sam Im Is

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, 2 things.. Changing the brakes on my 90. Now I know this is a simple job and I had no trouble with driver side at all.....except... I was tightening up the caliper bolts and the bottom one broke on me:gonnablow , clean off, threaded all the way in. Whats the best way to get this out. I have a new caliper bolts waiting to be put in. Second thing, The caliper bolts on the passenger side look like they take a star socket :bs: ??? Are all the XJ's like this?? Does anyone know what size star socket it is, and has anyone just put the regular caliper bolts on this side?? Any help would be awesome
THANKS
SAM

Whenever I do my fronts I replace the bolts, they usually come in the kit. I've had torx, allens and this last time normal bolt heads...
Just curious, how the heck did you break one ? man they go in finger tight and then get snugged up to 15 or 25 ft/lbs, I usually just look it up when I get to that point.

Last edited:
I believe those caliper bolts are E-16 male Torx heads. (my 88 and both my 89s had these, unclear on my 90)

Just tightening up that driver side bottom bolt. It was starting to get snug and I was turning it the last bit and bam, broke off. At first i thought the ratchet just slipped off the bolt head, then I grabbed it and it was turning freely and I pulled on it and it came out. The threads on the end of the bolt were broke clean off and it still screwed in on the other side. Only problem is its a clean break so there no way to grab it with some vice grips and turn it. I guess I will have to drill it out

Chances are that there's little force holding that stub in place. What I'd try is drilling a pilot hole in the stub, and using a screw extractor BY HAND to spin it out. I've seen bolts snap in similar situations, and they frequently spin out pretty easily. The trick is getting something on the stub to get it to turn.

my 96 has 1/2 in hex head, normal bolt. weird. You are positive you arent looking at trhe retaining bolts for the hub? I have also never seen sew bolts in a pad set, unless you are talking about calipers...

There is no way around it. Y Ou will have to drill it out and use an easy out to get it out cleanly.

Remove the caliper, then remove the rotor and you should see the tip of the bolt inside the hole in the caliper bracket. The hole goes all the way through so you can drill it from the outside inwards.

MIXJ said:
my 96 has 1/2 in hex head, normal bolt. weird. You are positive you arent looking at trhe retaining bolts for the hub? I have also never seen sew bolts in a pad set, unless you are talking about calipers...
no, He's not looking at the hub bolts.
Woddy's right on the size, that's what my 87 has. Funny odd little bolts. So glad when I get the 97 axle under there and don't have those.

Yea there the caliper bolts for sure. Pretty much have it figured out now, I'm going to try the easy out, if that fails lots of people get a long bolt, drill out the old one, and put the bolt the all the way through and do a nut with nylon lock threads and some loctite on the other sided the steering knuckle. The bolt's not broke inside the caliper at all just that little stub in the steering knuckle. Shouldn't be to bad to fix.

I'd do a helicoil in the knuckle before I did a nut and bolt.
we just did that on my neighbors dodge truck and it worked like a champ.
Drill out the hole, thread it with the supplied tap, put in helicoil, install bolt.
Took him longer to drive to the parts store and get teh helicoil kit than it did for us to fix the stripped out hole in his knuckle.

don't know about yours but there isn't enough clearance between the rotor and knuckle for a nut. I did, however, cut the a nylock nut in half and hold it in place with a very small set of needle nose. It held, but I finally got tired of it being an hour long job to change an axleshaft, and worrying about losing a nut.

Back