• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 Pilot Bearing Confusion/Misinformation

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I own a 1989 XJ Laredo w/the Aisin AX-5 5-speed manual transmission. I recently purchased a clutch pack kit from NAPA p/n MU1890-1E. NAPA has verified this kit is for the XJ w/Aisin manual.

My Factory Service Manual (FSM) could be the source of the confusion. See Figure 5 in the Clutch section-page (6-7).

Pilot Bearing in Clutch Pack Kit Info:
Lager number of smaller needle roller bearings. It appears to be pressed into a cast housing with a notch that must face the crankshaft.

FSM/Section 6-7/Fig. 5 Info:
Are the 4-Cyl & 6-Cyl bearings labelled wrong? I think this is a real possibility! Problem is I did not save my old bearing to compare.

All I can do is check the OD and depth of the housing.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Rick

RAVC1 said:
I own a 1989 XJ Laredo w/the Aisin AX-5 5-speed manual transmission. I recently purchased a clutch pack kit from NAPA p/n MU1890-1E. NAPA has verified this kit is for the XJ w/Aisin manual.
You have a Laredo with a 4-cyl engine?

The AX-5 is used only with the 4-cyl. Beginning mid-1989 the 6-cyl was equipped with the AX-15. They do not have the same size input shaft and do not use the same pilot bearing.

If the guy at NAPA found one part number for all XJs with an "Aisin" transmission, he doesn't know how to read his own catalogs.

Eagle & lawsoncl,

Thanks for your responses. Actually, you have raised an long-standing suspect issue as well; that of the Aisin 5-speed manual model number. Again, I suspect my FSM as the source of error. It is red in color, clearly labelled "1989" at the top front cover and has the part number 81-370-9045 on the back lower left cover.

In fact, the AX-15 is not even listed in my FSM; only the AX-5.

Note, I did check my MU1890-1E pilot bearing OD at the rear of the crank shaft and the ID with the input shaft to the 5-speed. OD & ID of the bearing I have firs the hole in the crank and the 5-speed input shaft. In turn, I think I'm okay with what I have. The difficulty if my FSM is not "as desired."

Thanks,

Rick

It is posible to have the AX5 with the 6cyl, just a little unusual. The two trannys look pretty similar, but the biggest difference is the location of the drain and fill holes. As I recall the drain hole onthe AX5 is on the bottom and the fill was on the drivers side. I think the internal clutch lines come off on the opposite side too, with the AX5 heading out the passenger side.

http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/ax5s.jpg
http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/ax15s.jpg

Back