• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

junkyard shopping - old cars...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I've searched alot and am looking for a decent upgrade for my 8.25. The Pullapart I am going to has tons of old 60s-80s cars and was wondering if anyoneknows anything worth looking at?

If not I'll just pull a 9" out of an F150.

ZachMan said:
I've searched alot and am looking for a decent upgrade for my 8.25. The Pullapart I am going to has tons of old 60s-80s cars and was wondering if anyoneknows anything worth looking at?

If not I'll just pull a 9" out of an F150.
9s are good, but take a little work to get them where you would want em... obviously the late 70s F trucks from ford are a great source of 60s, as the broncos have hp44s and 9s... Scout and Grand Wagoneers have the 44s front and rear in most cases, and I believe some of the old FSJs have some pretty stout axles... I say go with tried and true and search for some dana 60s, kingpin in the front if you can find it, enlarge for 35 spline shafts, and go... the 80s model F250s and 350s I think also have 60s in the front, but they are ball joint instead of kingpin, and have a sterling 10.25 in the rear... It's also a pretty stout axle, but has less aftermarket presence

LilRedRover said:
9s are good, but take a little work to get them where you would want em... obviously the late 70s F trucks from ford are a great source of 60s, as the broncos have hp44s and 9s... Scout and Grand Wagoneers have the 44s front and rear in most cases, and I believe some of the old FSJs have some pretty stout axles... I say go with tried and true and search for some dana 60s, kingpin in the front if you can find it, enlarge for 35 spline shafts, and go... the 80s model F250s and 350s I think also have 60s in the front, but they are ball joint instead of kingpin, and have a sterling 10.25 in the rear... It's also a pretty stout axle, but has less aftermarket presence

I know all that, but thanks :D

I am more intrested in any certain cars that came with strong rear axles or even vans? Just looking ofr something strong and closer to stock width.

On the same note of axles, I found a 69 Ford that has a 44 front and 9 rear with Detroit and 4.56 gears with New 36" super sampers. The guy wants $1500 for the entire truck. It was built as a mud truck. Is that a good deal? Do the older trucks from 69 have Disc's on the front? I was going to buy it but I have to sell me Dirt bike to get it. If any one has some advise PM me. Sorry for the HiJack

ZachMan said:
I know all that, but thanks :D

I am more intrested in any certain cars that came with strong rear axles or even vans? Just looking ofr something strong and closer to stock width.

never know these days what kind of useful information people have no idea about... getting closer to stock width, I am fairly sure some of the econo vans from ford also came with nice rear axles. I am pretty sure their letter designation is like E250 and E350, but as for drivetrain and axles, they are the same as the pickup versions... Mustangs came with 8.8s as did explorers... which I'm sure you know, but someone else might not... if you're looking to get a stout axle out of an old car, good luck... hot rod guys snatch them up faster than we do, I would stick to vans and trucks to have your best luck.

family XJ said:
On the same note of axles, I found a 69 Ford that has a 44 front and 9 rear with Detroit and 4.56 gears with New 36" super sampers. The guy wants $1500 for the entire truck. It was built as a mud truck. Is that a good deal? Do the older trucks from 69 have Disc's on the front? I was going to buy it but I have to sell me Dirt bike to get it. If any one has some advise PM me. Sorry for the HiJack

It will be a HP44, but will have drums in front and it will be a "kingpin" style 44 as opposed to the more typical ball joint style (but not closed knuckle). It will use the same outers as EB D30's from that time, and can be converted to disc using chevy parts. IIRC though, the actual kingpins are only available from one mfg and are REALLY expensive... maybe DJ will chime in has he had the one I had before and did alot of research on it...

I just got a Chrysler 8.75 out of a 69 Sattelite. I will start rebuilding it in the next week or two. It is .80 narrower on the WMS than the D35, has the 5 x 4.5 BP, bigger pinion bearings and shaft than the 9 and has 30 spline axles. They ran them behind the big block cars. There are many gear ratios and lockers available. Mine is getting 4.86 gears and a Detroit.

Read this...
http://www.autohobbydigest.com/8_75.html

if you can find a like a 86-88 old Jeep J20. im pretty sure they had D44's in front and Dana 60's in rear. Pretty good axle choices

If I have my years correct, which I think I am pretty close, try looking for a 71/72 Lincoln Versalies. It had a 9" that is the exact same width as an Explorer 8.8 with disk brakes and a 5 on 4.5" backspace. However it is a 28 Spline.

Thnaks guys, this place has all kinds of stuff and all axles are $60 so I'm gonna be busy haha.

Just checked they do have a 1972 Sattelite on the yard. No Veralies and one J20, but it may be missing axles.

Motornoggin said:
The axle in that 72 will be 2" wider than your current axle.

That will be perfect. I see 4.89s and a Detriot in its future (If I get it), but do they make aftermarket shafts? What do you think max tire size is for this axle?

ZachMan said:
That will be perfect. I see 4.89s and a Detriot in its future (If I get it), but do they make aftermarket shafts? What do you think max tire size is for this axle?

They do make aftermarket shafts. They say the stock axle is good to 600hp. Chrysler put them behind the 383 and the 426 wedge. I will be running 36's on mine, but you may be able to go bigger. I am not really sure.

Back