• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to find a Headlight Switch

jrowell

NAXJA Forum User
So I think my Headlight switch is out since I have no low beams or Fog lights. The switch is very hot to the touch when on for any amount of time. I took it out and went to Kragen and Pepboys, but both of theirs were slightly different. Mine had a ground wire out the back and two of the posts are slightly at an angle, where the parts stores were not.
I don't really want to go to the stealer for this... anyone run into this issue before?

Mine went out a few months back and I got one at a local parts store. Are you talking about the pull out switch for the headlights? This is a fairly generic part

Napa has a dirrect replacement. Its around $18, plus you get a lifetime waranty with theirs. I had to replace mine, went with Napa's and any problems I have with it now, they just replace it for free.

Yes the pull switch part on the dash. When you unplug it, the contacts that stick up, two of them on mine are offset. The ones at the two parts stores I've tried have only all straight contacts... if that makes since...

The year is *mostly* 87!
the parts stores I've been to say there is only one switch for up to like 94 (IIRC)...
I called Napa and they are getting me one and I'll look at it tomorrow.

I have an 87 XJ as well. Some parts have been tough to find as they're simply not made anymore. When I do have to get them from a salvage yard I go to Rancho Cordova Jeep Recyclers, just outside of Sacramento. I live in San Jose (2.5 hours away) so these guys always ship to me the same day.

http://www.ranchojeeprecyclers.com/

Here's an idea of just a few items that I've bought in the past:

Driver side power seat motor assmb. = $200
Power seat switch = $15
Interior plastic 1/4 pannel = $50
Headlight/instrument dimmer switch = either $15 or $25...I don't recall.

I should note that I haven't had a problem with a single item so I'm guessing that the parts are tested (???). Anyway, check out that website and get a look at the square acreage that this guy has...nothing but JEEPS.

Good luck,
Tony in San Jose

Last edited:
Napa couldn't get me one for a day so I went and got one off a 94 parts vehicle. I pulled it and it looked good. Installed it and noticed it had two extra terminals! It still plugs in, but two spaid plugs are not plugged into anything. Tried it, but still no low beams. I will pull one from an 87 parts vehicle tomorrow.
If this turns out to NOT be the light switch, anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is? I checked the harness behind the drivers light and it looks good. Any relays or anything that could cause this?

Thanks for the help....

It could be the switch that is mounted on the steering column is out of adjustment or not working at all.

So I got a brand new shiny headlight switch in my jeep... and still no low beams or fog lights. I checked the plug at the base of the steering column and it looks like everything is ok... rod moves ok, plug is tight... where should I look next?

Have you electrically tested the switch for proper operation that is mounted on the column? If the rod moves an insufficient amount it will not click to change over to low beams. Sometimes after years of use it will actually slide down the column a bit & you loose the proper adjustment.

I took the connector out of the plug on the column and hot wired the low beams and they worked, hot wired the hi's and they worked. For some reason the switch is switching out of high, but does not send power to the lows. I can hear it clicking, and the switch is not loose. All conectors look good with no corrosion. Any thoughts on a fix? How hard is it to remove the switch from the column?

There is one screw that holds the switch to the column in a slotted hole. If you loosen it, you can adjust the switch up & down until you get the lights to change from hi to low. You'll need to drop the lower plastic panel that goes across the botom of the dash to get at it probably.(If you haven't done that already) Try moving it 1/16 inch at a time.

I went and bought a new Dimmer switch, but I could only find the Floor mount style. I guess I'll add a little wire length and mount it to the floor... works for me. The new dimmer switch fixed it. Thanks for the help.

Jeremy

Back