• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rk steering up grade ?

rupert

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have this , i bought mine on friday went home all excited , looks way beefy installed the center link and thought cool , then came to the draglink , and i installed the rod end , then came the stock tre that you use and i put it in , it slides right in and pulls out hmmm! i thought well must tighten up when you put the double split collar on tighten up all right , but still had about 1/4 end play in the threads wtf is this ? any one run into this ?

brokexj said:
What year is your XJ? When I put mine on (89), I had to upgrade the pitman arm TRE to a 97-01 TJ TRE (TRW ES3096, I think.)

yeah exactly what I was thinking... or order TRE from RK and be done with it

mine is an 87 , why is there a diffrence i thought they were all the same , i even phoned my dealer and asked him and he said they were the same all through the years , and here i was thinking rk screwed up

BTW, the centre link and the drag link are different names for the same thing. The other link that runs from the drag link to the opposite knuckle is called a tie rod as it 'ties' the two knuckles together.

Gojeep said:
BTW, the centre link and the drag link are different names for the same thing. The other link that runs from the drag link to the opposite knuckle is called a tie rod as it 'ties' the two knuckles together.
not the same
Cherokee's don't have a center link. Center links are used on vehicles with an idler arm opposite the pitman arm. A a separate tie rod, one for the left and one for the right, is attached to each side of the center link. Very different from a Cherokee.

MaXJohnson said:
not the same
Cherokee's don't have a center link. Center links are used on vehicles with an idler arm opposite the pitman arm. A a separate tie rod, one for the left and one for the right, is attached to each side of the center link. Very different from a Cherokee.

You are right a agree but thought I better mention the center link name as that is what they call it in the Haynes Manual! Just a bit more inaccurate information that they publish. ;)

Back