• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Does Not Start

TLange

NAXJA Forum User
YES, I did do a search.

'93 XJ, 4.0
Started it to back out of driveway, died half way down driveway and has not started since.

1) It cranks.
2) Sputters slightly when throttle held to floor while cranking, you can smell smell gas.
3) Replaced CPS, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires and coil.
4) There is lots of spark while cranking.
5) Fuel rail is pressurized. I have not attached a pressure gauge to see how much. Fuel does squirt out of the valve on the rail.
6) Stored ECU codes are Aux Fan Relay and Lean Mix at O2 sensor.
7) I have not used a timing light to determine if it off. Timing chain sliped?

Does anyone have any ideas?

TIA!

I had a similar problem that i just fixed a few days ago. Turned out to be a faulty CPS wiring harness. Check that harness going to the Crankshaft Position Sensor first.

Also you may want to check your Grounds. There is one on the firewall(braided cable sometimes starts to fall apart or corrode), and there are 3 of them attached to the engine on the passenger side, near the base of the dipstick. They are all attached to one bolt. i was also told there are some on the driver side fender wall, haven't looked there, but you can check those and see too. there have been plenty of people on here who could crank all day and not start cuz of bad engine grounds.

also check your ASD.
oh, and the starter relay located near the battery may have finally worn out its welcome.

Thank you!

I forgot to mention above that I checked out all relays. I'll have a look at wiring harness.

Back