• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header install ?'s

Deyman

NAXJA Forum User
97 xj sport auto tranny.

Usual cracked exhaust manifold.

I want to replace with a header since I was quoted $565 for the stock replacement. That was just for the manifold, not installed. I'm considering doing this myself and was wondering if anyone out there has any horror stories from a header install. I did a search on the forum and read all of the threads. I was wondering if any of the bolts are prone to snapping off? Also anyone have any problems with exhaust leaks after the install? If I do it, I don't want to get everything back together and have to rip it apart again. Another thing, does the Banks header bolt right up to the stock pipes? I don't really plan on replacing the cat. I have to get smog tested annually and I don't want to run into any problems there. I'm possibly going for a cat-back system too. What is the stock exhaust diameter? I'm asking so many questions 'cause I'm not sure if this job is above my ability level.
I read somwhere that there may be a special tool required to remove the fuel line? Isn't that system pressurized? It's my daily driver so I guess I'm a little nervous about ripping it apart.

Thanks all

Deyman

I've done a couple of these.

First one was on my 92. The header bolts are the only ones I've touched on my Jeep in the last year that have NOT snapped. They came out easily actually. I replaced the intake manifold at the same time. I pulled the injectors out of the intake manifold and tied the whole rail up out of the way, leaving it connected. I did take the fuel lines off the front of the rail and on my 92 didn't need any special tools, just a pair of pliers. I put on a Thorely header and it bolted right up to the rest of the exhaust.

Second on was on a 93 YJ. We just replaced the stock manifold with another one. On this one we didn't even pull the injectors off the intake manifold. With the bolts out we could pull the exaust manifold off and put on the new one by slipping it in from underneath. Doing it this was saved a ton of time.

I did goober up one of the injector o-rings putting them back in the manifold on my XJ. Not a big deal because for some unkown reason the o-rings come in packs of 4 and I had 2 extra.

If you don't want to pay for a header there are lots of places that offer stock manifolds for aroun $150. Check eBay and I beleive Rubicon Outfitters has a stainless replacement with expansion sleeves in it to combat the cracking.

No special tools needed except for a bunch of different sockets and extentions/wobblys help.

I have seen (and had) the front and rear studs break off a number of times. once they do it is usually easier to just drill them out and put in a heli coil the maifold can't be mounted without the studs)

I have quit using the gaskets that come with the headers (borla/clifford) and use NAPA gaskets (similiar to factory gasket or "Nitro seal" gasket)

I forgot to mention about the system being pressurized. There isn't a whole lot of pressure. Just put a rag around the shraeder valve on the fuel rail and depress it, that will releive the pressure and spill some gas at the same time.

I had never done anything like that before and I did fine. It did take like 5-6 hours if I remember right.

Tightening the header bolts was a pain because the pipes don't provide the same access the factory manifold had. I needed to get an offset head wrench and even then it took some flexability to get to them all. I did the whole job with normal tools and didn't need a u-joint socket adapter like everyone mentions.

I have also done a few of these mainly the borla ones with are nice. One of the best ttools you can buy for this would be a ractching box end wrench for the bolts under the manifold (i belive there 9/16 its been a year or so since i did it.

Back