• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Ac does nothing at all

S

spoo76

about 3 weeks ago i picked up a 97 cherokee classic 4x4 atx
but the AC doesnt work

Ive checked the fuses and all are fine
the AC clutch relay is missing .. but when i ....lol
start the Jeep and use the starter relay for the AC relay i hear it engage
ive hot wired the blower motor and it ran, but sounded like an RC car..
while i think i blew the motor lol im still at a loss

the controlls in the Jeep do nothing at all in any position, for heat or AC
when i change the vent settings i do hear a little PSHH noise so i would guess the vacume control for the vents work

ive searched but nothing seems similar to my problem
anyone have any ideas?

thanks

and Just for the heck of it here is my Jeep with the Mustang bullit wheels i added.. and yes i plan to paint the center caps ;)
jeep1.jpg

First thats not a 97, thats a 96 or older, 97+ have a rounded rear hatch, blended bumper end caps.
As for the A/C, put the correct relay in there and see what happens. If the controls can't move the air from floor to dash to def vents you have a vac leak somewhere.

RichP said:
First thats not a 97, thats a 96 or older, 97+ have a rounded rear hatch, blended bumper end caps.
As for the A/C, put the correct relay in there and see what happens. If the controls can't move the air from floor to dash to def vents you have a vac leak somewhere.

actually i know its a 96, same year as my other car,
and dont forget the rounder mirrors and full length door glass
i duno why i typed 97 lol

as far as the relay ive already replaced it with the same results
as far as the controlls, the part that controlls the vents seem to be working because as i said, i can hear the vents open and close

But nothing else seems to happen when i slide the controlls from low to high, or even from heat to ac, or max AC,
Maybee i should pull back the dash and see if anything behind the controlls looks funky
ive seen a few posts on the resistor pack going bad... but it seemed as that only causes the blower motor to loose speed controll,
is it posible it could stop it all together?

someone else had brought up when the freon is low it wont let you run the compressor, but i dont see why i wouldnt be able to run the blower motor or heat, so i doubt thats it

Hopefully ill get this fixed before these south FL days get any hotter haha

Break it down into three areas, start with the heat, that involves the lever and the mixing valve in the engine compartment, then the air movement, the position moves it from all floor, all defroster vents, mix of floor vents, dash vents, etc. Now comes the A/C, just as a quick check put in a small can of R134A and see if the compressor kicks on, if the freon is really low then one small can may not have any effect at all, on an unknown system I think I'd have an A/C shop check it out first time.
As for the fan speed, thats controlled by the resistor pack, when it goes bad the general failure is no fan or hi speed fan only, if the pack really went bad it could also have taken the fuse out or if the fan motor went that could also be part of it..
Generally when you have a vacumn leak the system defaults to defroster vents only.

Back