• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

greasing u-joints

ebishop

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced the front u-joints in my 2000XJ last fall. I never saw a grease fitting on them. It appears that some may have something for a needle type grease fitting. There is something that looks like a rivet head with a small hole, is this how I grease them? How does it work? IIRC the sheet from the place that actually put on the new u-joints said 297 on them for part.

Thanks,

Eric

Yep - you'll need a "long nose" adapter for that fitting. It's not a "zerk" nipple, but a cup-type fitting. Check your local NAPA - they'll usually have it.

I have found three types of grease gun adapters useful over the years - the regular "zerk" fitting, the long fitting that works on both recessed zerks and cup fittings (the one you'll want,) and one that looks like a large-bore hypodermic needle that is used to get grease into booted joints. I use the first two more than the last anymore, but I find the "needle" handy on FWD applications.

I'd think you won't pay any more than $10 for the adapter - probably closer to $5.

5-90

Careful - Spicer actually prefers that you do not grease their 5-760x joints. They are pregreased and the install instructions remind you not to grease them, and to keep the caps on the same crosses.

Back