• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuses for air bags

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
I saw my 2 fuses for my air bag controls. Can I pull them when I wheel to keep the air bag from deploying? I have a new bumper I'm not afraid to hit stuff with, but I'm paranoid I'm going to set off the air bag. I know they are only supposed to work on hard impacts, but others have mentioned they have gone off on some mild hits. I assume it will throw a CE light. Thanks

Dunno if you can pull the fuse on yours but I do know that Ive wheeled with vehicles with airbags activated and never seen one deploy by accident. They are set to deploy at head on collisions of about 30mph from what I hear.

I don't see a reason to disable them. I have heard the same stories that you have, but they are always about a Jeep that's 30 years old and had the very first generation of air bags, or it's a story that some guy heard from a friend at work who heard it from the cousin of his brother-in-law... Or some other such 4th or 5th hand re-telling. Remember when you were a kid and you played "telephone?"

The airbag will not deploy unless you hit something hard enough that you would WANT it to deploy! Even if you're off-road, when you hit something that hard, head-on, you WANT the airbag to deploy.

You will not deploy the air bag while wheeling.
I promise,
If it does deploy, you will be glad.
I have hit some shit pretty hard,
hard enough to push the rad. into the fan and it has not deployed yet.

Leave it alone.....

I've never personally seen it, but there was a guy on here not too long ago that had it happen. IMHO it could happen. Think of it like this: The sensors (at least from what I remember) are of the inertia type and have a weight in them. When you hit something at 30 mph, the weight will move far enough against a spring to activate. But if you are coming down a super steep hill like White Knuckle, the weight is already working against the spring. Effectively the same amount as if you are going 15 mph while you are setting still just from the gravity. So in reality, it wouldn't take nearly as much of a hit on a steep decent as it would on the level. I would have to look at one of the new designs of the sensors, but I know the older one's would work this way... I would definitely not just remove the fuse though, too easy to forget to put back in... I would either put a switch with a bright red light on it, or leave it alone...

Back