• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disk Brake Question

Larry

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a set of cross drilled front rotors off the Pure Performance web site. The only pads I saw that were offered were the carbon fiber pads, so I bought a set of those. They stop great, much better than the stock brakes, but now they have begun to squeal once they get warmed up. My question is what is making them do this? Is it the carbon fiber pads? And, if so, what else would be better to use? Could I go to a semi-metallic pad or would that do damage to the cross drilling? I need help. These things are driving me nuts! Oh yeah, I have an '01 XJ Classic with 245/70-16 Bridgestone AT Revo's mounted. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Usually, brake squeal is NOT from the actual contact of pad material on rotors.

Rather, it is the high-frequency vibration (of pads against rotors) ransmitted to the back of the pad plate, vibrating against the retainer clips or piston or outboard clamp and then converted to noise.

Use 'Disk brake quiet' when installing the pads.
It's a mild, but temperature-resistant, adhesive that dampens the vibrations and prevents them from becoming airborne noise.

Back