• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapin axles

sheeks175

NAXJA Forum User
Hey. I'm a newbie to this site. I searched previous forums, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I really need some helpful advice from knowledgable people. I own a 87' 4.0L XJ and I am in the process of lifting it 8 inches with the Rustys kit. I will be running 35 inch tires, and probably 4.88 gears. I am only 17 and on a tight budget. I can't decide whether to stick with my stock D35 and D30 axles, or move up to something larger. I know they will break soon enough. I am also putting in lockers front and rear. So I need your helpful opinion on what I should do.
Basically:
Stick with D35 D30 axles or do the swap to something bigger now?
Also if I should do the swap what axle should I get and where?
Thanks in advance for your help
PS: I have an ax 5 speed (I think :explosion )

ditch the 35...no sense in polishing a turd. get a dana 44, or an 8.8 from a ford exploder from a junk yard, ebay, or on this site in the for sale forum.

...or any other cheap axle you can find... 9", Dana 60?

or, get a cheap used locker for the 35 from someone who upgraded...run it till you ruin it. have fun

Ok. That sounds good. Should I keep the D30 up front? Its probably a betch to swap in a bigger off set front axle and not customize the lift much, huh?
Thanks for your help.

Being on a tight budget and running 8" of lift doesn´t go together.

When you stick to a 5.5" lift and run a set of 33" tires you can keep your axles - just a thought...

You can later upgrade your lift or cut your fenders more to make room for 35" tires when you can afforad a set of axles (D44 front, 8.8 rear).

I´ve bought a already built set of axles (D30/35 with 4.56, DetroitLocker f/r, 30 splines bla bla) for a good price, that´s why I run them with my 35" tires - but I´m looking for a upgrade too. Would I run 33" tires, I wouldn´t mind and keep them.

Yeah. I'm thinkin of a D44 from a tow package jeep. Also I already own the 8inch lift so I must stick with that. And hey, I can make things as cheap or as expensive as I want.

the d44 doesnt have to be out of a 4cyl I dont think. Its luck of the draw really when it comes to finding a d44 in the older cherokees. Also, I think the 89 had them as an option, but I could be wrong. A 29 spline 8.25 out of a 97+ cherokee is almost as strong and waaayyyy easier to find. You can upgrade the 29 spl 8.25 with alloy shafts and its stronger than a d44, well at least the shafts are and you are still going to break a shaft before the ring gear. Just a thought.

Yes, the XJ d44 and the XJ chryco 8.25" will be a direct bolt in. The pinion on the d44 is about 1" longer than the 35 and I think the pinion on the 8.25" is longer as well. All this means is that the drive shaft will have to be about 1" shorter too, so keep that in mind. Basically, install axle and SYE, then order driveshaft.

Yes the 44 is a direct swap besides the yoke being a little longer than the 35.

but,

I would also worry about the strength of the transmission you have in your 87.You probably have the Peugeot ba 10/5(side split case) unless someone upgraded to an ax15.The ax15 didn't get put into service until late 89.
If you have the Peugeot it won't last long with 35's in the dirt......but this thread is about axles so I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
Ok. thats awesome. as of now im lookin at my friends D44 out of a step side GMC i think. I havent seen it so I don't know. Yeah I think I have a puegot but I cannot fukin find out! The ax and puegeot look so similar. I have the tag but I dont know were to go to get the info. What ever it is its gonna go soon so im not worrying about it until i drive it into the ground. Thanks for the help.

sheeks175 said:
Ok. thats awesome. as of now im lookin at my friends D44 out of a step side GMC i think. I havent seen it so I don't know. Yeah I think I have a puegot but I cannot fukin find out! The ax and puegeot look so similar. I have the tag but I dont know were to go to get the info. What ever it is its gonna go soon so im not worrying about it until i drive it into the ground. Thanks for the help.

your friends GMC stepside wont be 5x4.5 bolt pattern, your best off sticking to looking for an axle from a jeep..

Yes, quite easily.

Slip them under, weld up some spring perches, done.

Oh, you'll need new wheels, and you might need to trim your fenders.

Back