• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Working on the rear cage...

OT

NAXJA Forum User
Since I finally had a day off, I got to do some much needed cage work today.
I'm trying to have it ready by next weekend, so time is of the essence.
I completed a lot of what I wanted to do, but I still have a little more tube to add and a few gussets to weld in.

The cage started life as a bare bones D&C prefabbed kit.
The way it was originally....

is.php

A couple of years later, after some much needed trimming......

is.php

Since I wasn't limited by that pesky sheetmetal anymore, I went ahead and cut out the rear cage....

is.php

Eveything that's unpainted is what I did today....

is.php

I reenforced the rear spring mount.

is.php

is.php

I'll add more pictures after I get done with it Monday.....

looks good. but that is new tubing correct. what kind of welder you laying beads with

I am going to be totally blunt... would you expect any less from me? lol

I dont like it. Here is why! You BEAT your rig, you know just as well as I do that that back leg wont take a beating very long. You got it done, so run it. When you have to REdo it, make it straight from the Cpillar to the shackle then add tube to build up the storage area. Also, not that it matters with your rig anymore; my cage is just like yours in the back and I have already buckled the back some. Its just not strong like that. The ass end is bending up.

Your going to be due for a body swap before to long and i'm sure you'll do a ton different. But, thats what I think.

Scrappy said:
I am going to be totally blunt... would you expect any less from me? lol

I dont like it. Here is why! You BEAT your rig, you know just as well as I do that that back leg wont take a beating very long. You got it done, so run it. When you have to REdo it, make it straight from the Cpillar to the shackle then add tube to build up the storage area. Also, not that it matters with your rig anymore; my cage is just like yours in the back and I have already buckled the back some. Its just not strong like that. The ass end is bending up.

Your going to be due for a body swap before to long and i'm sure you'll do a ton different. But, thats what I think.
x2, but the only reason it's not straight from the C-pillar ist to protect the box.
There will be more tube added to it when I finish it up on Monday.
I can't really brace in above the box or it won't open.
I just have to do the best with what I have to work with.

Man, I think about body swaps every time I see an XJ.:thumbup:

Well, it turns out, after some quick measurements, that the cage is quite twisted.
There is a one inch difference between the B-hoop and the down tube in the D-hoop.
You can see in the picture.

is.php

Seems, I should have put in a lot more triangulation earlier in the build and not wheeled it until it was.
Now I'm having to make adjustments as I go.
Next time, I will go with at least 1.75" and have much more reenforcement and a lot more gusseting.

Anyway, take it for what it's worth, but, in my opinion, while it is a great starter for a full bodied XJ, the D&C cage alone, isn't strong enough for hard wheeling.

Any other criticism?
Feel free to nitpick.

Last edited:
better be wheelable by next weekend... :D

buzzbombxj said:
why is the passenger seat full of hay?

Ever hear of a "roll in the hay"?

id have thrown it in the back, those front seats are cramped, like they were only designed for one person each...

great looking welds by the way

Thats the EXACT same plans I have for mine..
Wheel it til the body starts to fall off. Cut off what hasn't fell off, then wheel it some more... Make adjustments as needed...

:cheers:

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!
I haven't had the kind of time, this week, that I wanted to put into the XJ, but I got the main pieces in that I needed.
I'll truss it up later.
I'm ready to wheel......

is.php

Back