• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off road racing suspension !!

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys I own a 94 XJ & I live in Egypt I want to turn my vehicle into a desert offroader. Which suspension setup would be best to tackle the sand dunes in our deserts; I want to turn it more into an off road racer ( Rally vehicle) than a rock crawler. I was thinking of a Coilover setup for both front & rear. Which would be the best lift kit ( need more travel for high speed bumps)
thx guys.

2332070_23_full.jpg

Last edited:
I would start by looking into more of what the Jeepspeed guys are doing. There are a couple of Guys here that run in that series but most of them are pretty quiet. maybe start by searching for Jeepspeed, and see if you can learn anything from that. They race XJ's offroad so they will have more of what you're looking for. Als search for the URF guys here, they all seem to be building rockcrawlers that "race" to the trailhead and back, they have a few good points for setting up suspension for speed.

I know that in order to make you vehicle handle well in the rough stuff at speed you should learn as much as possible about spring rates, shock valving and proper bumpstops.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dingo

T and J performance sells systems for jeepspeed. Also, the fulltraction long arms seem to be the most popular for high speed stuff because they're a true 4-link.

I use short arms on my Jeepspeed (with stock pivot points) and it works pretty good. Mike Barnett from T and J's uses the same setup and he won the series last year.

FWIW "rally" and "desert" racing are sort of 2 different setups. Rally racing the cars sit lower and do not need as much travel as a desert racer. Rally racers handle a lot better on smooth, windy dirt roads. I first built my Jeepspeed this way and it worked great at Parker (fast, smooth, windy roads) but not so good in Barstow (big holes and whoops/not smooth).

My recommendation would be to start with a basic 3 - 4" short arm kit. Get some good 2.5" body shocks and learn to tune them. Over time you will probably find that you want a much stiffer front spring and better quality rear springs (I use Deaver's and they are perfect).

Hope this helps.
Chris

Back