• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrangler 231 Cherokee 231?

badbowtie87

NAXJA Forum User
I might be beating a dead horse but i searched a little to find out if a wrangler 231 is any different than a cherokee 231. I seen 2 different answers. Will a 99 wrangler 231 directly bolt in to my 96 xj automatic? If not what is the difference?

What trans on the donor.I know the auto's(they dont use AW4's) have the long input shaft(t-case side) and dont fit.

A 99 Wrangler is a TJ, which uses a floor-mounted transfer case shifter similar to an XJ. The earlier YJ Wranglers had the transfer case shifter mounted directly to the case. The YJ transfer cases were "clocked" (oriented) slightly differently from XJ transfer cases, which made using a YJ case in an XJ not a direct swap.

But I do not know if that's true for the TJ Wranglers. I suspect that, because they use a floor-mounted shifter, they might be clocked the same as the XJs.

Back