• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

K&N salvage, and question about Tornado intake thing

blairboyd

NAXJA Forum User
I have a k&n air filter out of a flipped cherokee, problem is once flipped it was soaked with oil. I have soaked it twice in detergent, rinsed it, and set it to dry (as suggested by a friend), and i also have the k&n filtercharger kit. And I was wondering if the filter would perform after all of this, or if there is anything else i could do to salvage it.

Also, i grabbed the Tornado (the thing you stick in the TB to swirl the air) before the insurance took off with the jeep and i was wondering if it actually works or not.

I would just use the cleaner that K&N provides. Since it removes the filter oil it should work well to remove motor oil. I had a K&N that shrunk after I cleaned it so be carefull not to get anxious to speed up the drying.

The K&N Filter cleaner usually works pretty good for removing oil, if you need something a little more powerful, I have had good luck with a foam filter cleaner made by PJ1 it is made for cleaning dirtbike airfilters but it also safe to use of the K&N style filter, you can find that at pretty much any motorcycle shop. But I would try the K&N stuff first.
As for the tornado, I have not personally tried it, but I can not see how it would benefit the Jeep motor at all, I would think it would be an air restriction, the only way that it may be a help is if you had a carb then it may help create a better atomization of the fuel, but since you have a nice fuel injection setup it wont really matter and you would want as much air flowing as unrestricted as you can, to your engine . BUT like I said I have never tried it, since you already have it why not put it in and see if you notice a positive change?

I would not expect the tornado to work with an MPI vehicle. Anything that increases turbulence through a pipeline also increases the pressure drop of the flow through the pipeline. This reduces the maximum potential airflow. If the tornado has any positive effect, it would be with a carburated or a throttle-body injected engine where a fuel air mixture is passing through the intake. The increased turbulence would help keep the fuel droplets entrained in the air- maybe enough so that at some speeds the better atomization makes up for the pressure loss. Since we do not have fuel-air mixture in our XJ intakes (fuel is injected directly into the head intake port), we have no possibility for a benefit of better fuel dispersion. The throttle body spacer effect might increase low end torque-but I doubt its worth it- seems like it would cost you at high RPM due to the swirling. Maybe you could dremel tool out the helix and make it smooth and have a throttle body spacer.

I was one of the assholes who got fooled by those fawkers and bought one. It does absolutely NOTHING,trust me on that. If you still want one i can sell you mine.

Ravi

Well, after i cleaned the K&N i just let it hang out to dry. Prior to using the filtercharger kit i used hot water and detergent. Would this have any negative effects on it?

Laminar airflow

Most of the airflow in an intake is laminar airflow which occurs next to the intake wall. Theoretically the tornado increases airflow down the middle of the intake thus giving you a boost in airflow. Does it work? I don't see Richard Petty with one. I think it should go the way of the "banjo minnow". JMHO :)

I took out the Tornado in mine, I am getting better mpg's without it now. So who ever bought it on Ebay, thanks for giving me 30 clams. Juice

Yeah, all those gimmicks are crap. Once the air gets into the manifold and then the ports in the head anything you do to it before means squat. If any trick like that ever makes a real difference it is only because it removed a point of maximum restriction in what you replaced. And as one of you guys pointed out, the laminar effect in the turns in the ports are the most restrictive area anyways. That's where all the magic in porting happens..well, there and at the valve seat area. Save the swirlies for the toilet bowl.:arrowr: :laugh2:

Those tornado things are crap. They cost about 72 cents to produce, and if they worked good, don't you think car companies would be using them all the time?

Back