• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan problem

Trbocharg

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 v6 XJ and every time after running the air conditioner when the car is shut off the electric radiator fan runs for hours on end. Sometimes it will eventually shut off, but other times it completely drains the battery. If I do not run the AC the fan works normally. The cars temp gauge always reads normal.
Can somebody help me fix this problem? Does anyone else have this prob?

Thanks,
Adam

Trbocharg said:
I have a 97 v6 XJ
You've got one hell of a rare breed there:) . But in all seriousness, it sounds like a short somewhere. Under normal operating conditions the electric fan would kick on when the temp gets above 210(I believe around 215 somewhere) or when the A/C is on, but it really shouldn't stay on after the vehicle is off. I know there have been other people that have had this problem though so...check around.
Hope it helps,
Collin

Last edited:
Trbocharg said:
I have a 97 v6 XJ and every time after running the air conditioner when the car is shut off the electric radiator fan runs for hours on end. Sometimes it will eventually shut off, but other times it completely drains the battery. If I do not run the AC the fan works normally. The cars temp gauge always reads normal.
Can somebody help me fix this problem? Does anyone else have this prob?

Thanks,
Adam

You've either got a short in the fan circuit or, more likely, the fan relay is sticking in the "on" position.

You've either got a short in the fan circuit or, more likely, the fan relay is sticking in the "on" position.

I like this line of thought..I would vote for the relay sticking,switch it out

Well the relay was the problem. Thanks Dr. Dyno and Comanche dude for the great info. NAXJA is by far the greatest web site in existence.

Adam

Back