• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truck b liner /carpet removal and weird thing..

Grifter144

NAXJA Forum User
since it was warm enough i went ahead and prepped the xj interior for bedliner, i pulled out the rear cargo area carpet (which was still wet from last summer's georgia red clay stuck) sanded, scuffed and cleaned the sheetmetal that was available..however in the middle of the cargo area is a sheet of something that i obviously dont wanna waste my time trying to pull up, i dont know what it is but its kinda rubberyish..anyone know what this is and what did you do about it when you used truck bed liner in your jeep i went ahead and rolled in the liner and its just peeling right up off this thing..very weird...any ideas..oh yea this is in my 2000..guess if its going to turn out this shitty i am going to reinstall the carpet in the cargo area...

thanks
Grifter

umm duplicolor, i know cheap shit, but its just going on the floor so it shouldnt see to much abuse..at least thats the thought behind it..the exterior will get the real crap, line-x or herculiner...

Sounds like seam sealer. Was it body colored? I think I read it can be removed with a heatgun, a scraper, and a lot of work. My '96 had it slopped on in some odd places (pass. rear floor, covering up one of the drain holes), but fortunately the tailgate area was clean. Might do a search for seam sealer and see if anyone's had any luck priming it.

yeah i dont know, i'll try that, its a perfect square about 3x2 in feet smack dab right in the middle of the cargo area crooked, some of it is also spread in half moon shapes on the upper section of the exposed rear wheel wells..odd.... its about 2/8 of an inch thick..

thanks..

Last edited:
I had this in my 98 didn't feel like pulling it up so I painted the duplicolor right over it....looks fine.

It is a sound deadener pad. You probably also have 4 or 6 others in the footwells covered with some aluminum foil stuff. All that was a major pain in the arse to remove but I highly recommend getting it out so that your bedliner will adhere properly.

I used Herculiner for my interior but I also put the carpet back in after I cut it so it will be much easier to remove next time. I removed and left out the pad under the carpet.

Back