• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Get this 9 Inch?

LilRedRover

NAXJA Forum User
Alright well I found this deal and wanna run it past you guys since we do have some of the finest minds on this site... Ford 9 inch, mini-spooled 31 spline with minitruss set up for SOA CJ... drum brakes unfortunately, but said to be in good condition, and it hasn't been cut down. Guy wants 150 bucks for the axle, which seems reasonable to me. Since I have never dealt with a CJ I am assuming the leaf perches will need to be moved or am I lucky enough that they are where they need to be? Also, is there a company out there that makes some sort of adapter for different brakeline fittings? how about driveshaft? I don't know how long the pinion will be on this 9 inch and if it will even work with my driveshaft. I think it's low pinion, will this be ok with my XJ? Sorry for all the newbie type questions, but I haven't gotten into all the fabbing type stuff on my jeep yet, basically just "bolt on" type stuff. I'm not worried about having a full width rear axle and stock turdy for right now, that will change too. It will be a trail only rig as of next month when I would put this in. Get this axle, or not get this axle?

Last edited:
i would buy it, but don't forget. you will need new spring perches and shock mounts. and it will be the wrong lug pattern, 5 on 5.5. Good deal though.

anybody else have any helpful information?

If the gear ratio's not the same as your D30, it may not be worth it. Plus, unless you get a matching 5x5.5" front axle (or the Warn kit), you'll have two different bolt patterns, which is not recommended.

as of right now it is the same gear ratio and I would probably get wheels spacers for the front and new wheels... places sell wheel spacers to convert the bolt pattern to 5 on 5.5, and the spacers would space the 30 out a little bit so it didn't "look" so rediculous until I swap out the front axle and regear everything anyways...

I've got a set of 9" axle shafts with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern that should work with that axle. The shafts are full width but could be cut down.

email me if you would like more info.

chasespop said:
I've got a set of 9" axle shafts with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern that should work with that axle. The shafts are full width but could be cut down.

email me if you would like more info.

Sorry for the hijack, Where did you get your axles and for how much? Are they 31 spline? Thanks

The axles came out of a full size bronco. They are 31 spline and the big bearing design. I was going to use them and decided to go with aftermarket considering the motor I'm running.

The first thing I would find out is what it came out of originally. My yj brake lines hooked right up to my 9". That is a decent price on that axle. Yes the pinion is low get a pinion guard if you want to. You will need a bastard u-joint to use your old DS. If you have an auto and your DS is short try a 5 speed shaft it is a little bit longer. HTH.

Back