• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossover steering + no bumpsteer... myth or reality???

meatplow5150

NAXJA Forum User
After doing a little research and contemplating the mechanics of the true crossover steering (drag link attached at the knuckle), I am having a little bit of a problem with the claims of some of the crossover kit makers that their systems do not produce bump/brake steer. For this to truely work, the track bar and drag link MUST be parallel AND of equal length (see go.jeep-xj.info). What I want to know is, how noticeable is the bump/brake steer? I currently have Rusty's inverted T steering and have not read or heard good things about it and am considering a crossover conversion, but whatever system I choose needs to have good road manners too.

I don't notice any bumpsteer and the trackbar is about a foot shorter than the drag link. You could always fab a bracket to mount the trackbar to the inner C, I know of one TJ guy that's done it that way.
w7y43d.jpg

"claims" made by companies are completely bullshit. like you already know, you will always experience some bumpsteer unless your angles are perfectly parallel with each other. yes a stabilizer will mask some of the imperfections, but with true crossover steering requires relocating the TB mounts as well. most steering kits don't come with this bracket. i bought my OAB from jks and it works perfect with my bulletproof steering setup.

Ive got X-over on my XJ and i still get a little bit....doesnt seem to be as bad as when i had the stock steering setup, but its definetly still noticable. A good steering stabilizer does make a good bit of difference...

To completely eliminate bumpsteer you must have the panhard bar and the drag link parallel and equal length, however you can virtually eliminate bumpsteer by getting them just parallel. I've never been able to build a rig that had equal length bars, but every rig i've built has had no detectible bumpsteer. Steering stabilizers are a crutch. Set your junk parallel and you'll be happy.

Back