• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doing my sye today

lostdeep

NAXJA Member #1285
i'm going to do my porc sye today or tonight and i have so questions.

1. the bearing on the new case is already pressed in so i dont have to worry about any other bearings, right?

2. on an 01 231 i need snap ring pliers and another set of pliers, whats the name of the other pliers?

(sorry cant search, page times out)

Last edited:
no other bearings to worry about, just check the front output bearing for play while you're in there.

I didn't need any other pliers. Just socket wrenches.

Pretty straight forward, just remember which way the shift collar goes back on. If you've had any kind of front driveline vibrations to deal with I'd consider replacing the front output shaft bearing while you're in there, just the front bearing not the one in the case.

cool thats what i wanted to hear. i thought i read somewhere that the 97+ need an extra set of pliers.

Waterhammer said:
You'll only need the snap ring pliers once (or twice?). The lock ring pliers are key. I tried to do it w/o them and it sucked. It is pretty strait foward...

i thought i saw it somewhere.

where can you get a set. i went to lowes and all they had was snap rings

lostdeep said:
i thought i saw it somewhere.

where can you get a set. i went to lowes and all they had was snap rings

lowes does have them. must of over looked them.

i was right the first time they dont have them. the guy got the srp and the lrp mixed up.

did you get it done? I actually did mine without the snap ring pliers since they were not straight, and broke when I tried to straighten them.

I just finished mine. Lock Ring Pliers make the job a lot easier. Did this by my self with a set of sockets a hammer the Lock Ring Pliers, Snap Ring Pliers, and a screw driver. A lot easier than I though that it would be. My first SYE was on my YJ and I took it to the shop to do it, sure wish I would have done that one at home too.
Any quality auto shop should have Lock Ring Pliers. Its funny how many of the auto stores dont know the differance between Lock Ring and Snap Ring.

Back