• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Coil for a 98 XJ

keener

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone run an aftermarket coil, such as the MSD p/n 8228 ?
Any benefit ? Will that coil have a higher output voltage than the stocker ?
Is the MSD a "plug and play", or do you have to do some wiring mods ?

I haven't done anything with MSD but I did buy the "Firepower Ignition Kit" from Quadratec for my 98XJ. It comes with a screamin deamon coil, firepower wires, cap and rotor. I have had it for 3 years or so and I haven't seen any downside. It allows you to run a bit of a bigger gap on your plugs

keener said:

Can I ask why? 2jeepowner's post pretty much says it all but why? Is the engine modified(and a spacer or cold air is not modified)? The money you spend on an ignition kit that you'll see no performance gain on you could be putting in your tank or into other useful mods.

keener said:

I just installed that coil about 2 months ago. The idle instantly was much smoother and I have a lot better pic up from the motor. Yes it is a plug and play coil, direct replacement with a little more power. Definately worth the $46.00 IMO

I've been mulling the either the MSD, or Accel coils too, but the increased plug wear discourages me. I'd go MSD if anything now. I've heard nothing but good things about their manufacturing quality and durabilty.

Jeepme, Did you notice you notice faster starts after the MSD coil?

92DripCherokee said:
I've been mulling the either the MSD, or Accel coils too, but the increased plug wear discourages me. I'd go MSD if anything now. I've heard nothing but good things about their manufacturing quality and durabilty.

Jeepme, Did you notice you notice faster starts after the MSD coil?

Yes.

2jeepowner said:
I haven't done anything with MSD but I did buy the "Firepower Ignition Kit" from Quadratec for my 98XJ. It comes with a screamin deamon coil, firepower wires, cap and rotor. I have had it for 3 years or so and I haven't seen any downside. It allows you to run a bit of a bigger gap on your plugs

me too and no complaints at all

I have a '97, I put the MSD coil and wires on a few years ago. It runs great, plug and play, thats it. I also bought the Firepower cap and rotor button from quadratec and running the plugs @ .06. Runs like a champ....

well you want to run the proper amount of gap...if you run too much gap it will run funny...proper gapping insures stronger spark...

not sure what it would do if you went from .06 to .07.....

Back