• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Three Little Pigs...and some floor issues

MarkdaleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
...and here they are

ThreeLittlePigs.jpg

The little piggy in the middle is a blown-engine 89 parts car, the piggy on the left is the 93 beater I'm driving and will soon become my "tractor" and last but I hope not least is the piggy on the right. Its a 94 sport I just picked up on the weekend and will be the new dd.

The point of all this is that the new piggy has a couple of floor issues (over the cat etc.) that I need to address for a safety. My first thought was to strip the rugs and repair it with metal from the inside but rivet from the outside(no welder ) then tar it from the inside. Any thoughts? I've never had to fix a floor for a safety before, the criteria being "no through holes in the passenger compartment"...but windows are ok:)

I also had major issues with rust. i removed the carpet and found a few areas that i thought would require just a small patch. as it turns out I I had a major task in front me. I repaired the holes with 20 ga. sheet metal and 1/8 x 1/8 steel rivets spaced @ 3/8" to 1/2" apart. I then sealed around the patch with body seam filler inside and out and then used Bondo Under coating (Professional Grade) in spray for to top it off. Id post pics if I were more savie with this comp. stuff. When I finally finished I had around 1000 rivets drilled and installed. My belief is that, If planes and boats can fly and float built with rivets so shall my xj...is that a Hy Ku?

yeah - my floor is ridiculous...96 xj up here in the northeast....it's almost better if large sections of the floor are done for...........above the muffler, i have about a 2' by 5' hole, everything is gone after cutting....i think the best is to seal up the seams with roofing tar, spray both the interior and undercarraige with krylon rust elimnator spray..and then herculine the interior....

the unibody is just unibody - rust holes dont provide much support - ive been using sheet metal screws, and it's going slow.

good luck - you wont get all of it, but, then again, rust is rust

nevermind, ivebeen drinkin.gb

Back