• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loss of power on hills

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 91 XJ Sport with the 4.0HO motor 4.5 inch lift running 32's The problem that I am having is that I have a loss of power going up hills on the freeway for example having to down shift to fourth and sometimes 3rd to maintain 60MPH. Im sure some of this has alot to do with stock gearing, but what else might it be??? I do have a problem with my clutch sticking could this be a cause??? It has decent power on the streets but it a dead horse when it comes to hills

I couldn't agree more.... I'm running 32" tires and was on stock gears,,, seemed like a dog on the highway... Went to 4.10's, and now has the power of stock and no problems on the highways....

Well I lost my muffler this weekend drove around for two days with out kinda sounded like a mix between a nascar/tracto/diesle. was pretty cool actually. stupid laws =p. Anyway dont think the cat is clogged

Check ignition system, a bad spark will make you loose all power under load.

Dont really do a lot of driving, I've only put 5K on it in the almost 2 years that I have had it. Only so far you can go on an island lol. only three miles to base.

Back