• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just another starting problem...

wildman

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the scoop...a few weeks ago i accelerated away from a red light and heard a grinding noise. I pulled over, and upon inspection, realized that the internals of my alternator had been shredded. I replaced it and went about my merry way. The next day i noticed that my battery was only charging to about 10 volts to the max. Then, my jeep starting running strangely. it would stall and sometimes die when i would accelerate out of a turn or when i would pull into traffic(YEAH! THAT BITES!).

So I bring the battery to autozone and get it checked out, sure enough, the battery was bad. I replace the battery, yet still got no charge. After inspection, I realized that my battery cables had melted (possibly from the alternator incident?). I had a friend helping me change the cable, and he swears that he never shorted the cables(like while hooking up to the starter), but when I tried to crank it afterwards, I would get a loud clicking sound from the relay area located behind the battery.

after testing the relays, I found that 3 of the 5 were bad, so I replaced them. Charged the battery, put it back in and tried to crank it....same thing...it turns over but will not start. actually, it begins to start, then goes right back to cranking. Could this be a starter problem?

There is spark from ignition coil, and at the plugs. The fuel rail fills up after every starting attempt. after charging the battery, it will stay charged for about 15-20 seconds worth of cranking, then it needs to be jumped again...not sure if that is normal as I've usually gotten it started on the first try in past attempts.

Any ideas? I changed alot of sensor's a few months ago. TPS and a few others. if you need to know what sensor's, lemme know and i'll try to find where i wrote all that down. thanks,
wildman

ALMOST FORGOT! 1989 XJ 4.0L 4x4 4dr

i checked all of the fuses under the dash and they are all fine. how can i tell if the fusible links at the starter relay are busted? or if the starter relay itself is busted? would that cause this?

I check ad out all the major wiring and it seems fine. I compared it to a friends jeep and the dealerships manual that i got a copy of and they all seem to be the same setup

Back