• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 c-clips...

PAPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed that on my friend's YJ Dana 30 disco axle, there is no c-clip on the passenger side inner axle like there is on mine. Is the c-clip necessary? Has anyone run without it?

Reasons why I am asking:

1. A broken inner axle would be an easier trail repair if I didn't have to access the c-clip.

2. I welded up the spiders and can't fit the c-clip back in unless I do some grinding on my welds.

Yes.

If that C-Clip were not there the axle could walk over toward the knuckle and slip into the engagement collor, thus making it fully connected at all times.

Broken intermediate shafts is a rare occurance.

That c-clip is a major PITA when you put a lockright (or similar) in there Only way I found to assemble it properly was to grind part of a tooth off the ring gear to let the centerpin slide in and out.

GSequoia said:
Broken intermediate shafts is a rare occurance.

BS, this is always the first thing to break on a disconnect 30. The shaft is too short, and too torsionally rigid because of the fatty disconnect end. Therefor, it does not twist and spring back, but merely snaps at the diff end.

I've seen several break before a 260 joint........in very inconvenient spots.

I've pulled four disconnect dana 30's apart, and only one had the c-clip..?

GSequoia said:
If that C-Clip were not there the axle could walk over toward the knuckle and slip into the engagement collor, thus making it fully connected at all times.

CRASH: Can I assume that your lack of BS calling on GSequoia's response to the c-clip issue means that you agree with him? In other words was he correct about the c-clips and incorrect about the inner axle breakage?

I understand what he is saying here and that was my initial concern, but I didn't notice a difference in the inner or outer shafts on the YJ...is there one?

CRASH said:
BS, this is always the first thing to break on a disconnect 30. The shaft is too short, and too torsionally rigid because of the fatty disconnect end. Therefor, it does not twist and spring back, but merely snaps at the diff end.

I've seen several break before a 260 joint........in very inconvenient spots.

Stand corrected then. I've always heard the opposite but I've never blown a shaft (in fact I deleted the disonnect entirely from my '89)

have broken intermediate shafts. I never use the c clip and havent had problems. As far as I can recall, the conecting collar rests on the outboard splines and shifts over to connect the two shafts. if the inner shaft is moving, it cannot connect with the engagement collar so there is no way it can accidentally connect

Back