• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 manny ?

rckclmbr

NAXJA Forum User
did the axles in jeeps with the 6 cyl and manual tranny come with 4.10's. some one told me this once and i thought that i would see before i bought the thing.

o and how hard is it to put in a auto into this cause the clutch is bad and personally i would like to not have to worry with shifting when i am off road.

rckclmbr said:
o and how hard is it to put in a auto into this cause the clutch is bad and personally i would like to not have to worry with shifting when i am off road.

Swapping in an AW4 tranny (that's what the auto XJs use) is not trivial as it's an electronically controlled tranny. Not saying it can't be done as I've done it, but expect to have to swap a lot of misc parts and deal with the electrical side of it.

rckclmbr said:
how much would it cost since i already have the aw4 sitting here. and any reccomendations?

My best recommendation is to have a donor vehicle or a Pull-n-Save junkyard nearby because you're going to need lots of misc parts. I got a good tranny for $50 at the pull-n-save (great prices if you don't mind pulling your own parts) and probably paid another $150 in miscellaneous pieces. You can do a search of the forums and find a more complete list, but off the top of my head:

- tranny, bellhousing, and torque converter
- flexplate and inspection cover
- tranny cooling lines
- tranny cooler (your stock rad might have the hookups)
- Neutral Safety Switch (on drivers side of tranny)
- Trans Control Computer to match tranny
- Dual output TPS if a Renix engine controller
- Shifter and shift cable, trim piece around shifter
- Different transfer case linkage bracket and rod
- tranny mount
- wiring harness
- An FSM to figure out where to wire everything.

You'll need to verify the output shaft spline count matches your transfer case - it probably won't. You need to use a pre-1997 TCU with a pre-1997 AW4 and vice versa as the sensors on the tranny changed. An engine computer from an HO manual vehicle might not have the proper TPS outputs.

Honestly, you're better off selling the AW4 you have and put the money towards buying what you want. A good used AW4 can sell for up to $500 on eBay. When I bought my MJ, it supposedly had a bad clutch. After I got it home I found the previous owner had already put in a new clutch and then traded it in when he realized the problem was torn-up synchros in the tranny. I ended up rebuilding the AX-15 for about $200 in parts and a long weekend.

Oh, if you do have a local salvage yard you can grab axles from a 4-cyl XJ to get 4.11 gears.

Back