• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 MJ d35 axle shaft removal

stupidfast

NAXJA Forum User
so im replacing the brakes in the drums in the d35 from an 87 mj. no towing package, pretty sure its just base modle longbed. so i figure.. wtf, do it up while your in here. so im refurbishing the whole thing. sandblasting all the internal peices and the drum and painting them. so i need the backplate off, and the seal looks like its a little leaky and i dont want oil on my brakes. so how do i take the axle shafts out? i searched a little but found out that an mj 35 might be different so if you know what exactly i have speak up. i really appreciate it, thanks

C-clip or non c-clip?

it should be just like mine.
non-c clip unles it's been changed.
THere are four bolts in the end of the axle. You'll need to rotate the wheel mounting plate to get them. I used a 3/8" ratchet and a 3" extension and a dep well socket.
Take off the four nuts from the bolts. Once those are off there's nothing mechanical holding the axle in. After 200K miles mine was stuck in there prety good. I put a mini pry bar behind the wheel mount and smacked it with a hammer once or twice. They popped right out.
If you have any more questions I'll go take some pics My spare axle is still torn down.

(bar behind the wheel mount and smacked it with a hammer once or twice)

Or you can use an axel puller (free as a loner tool at the zone)

Comanchedude said:

Yeah, I did mine at about 11 PM so no autozone for me :)

Comanchedude said:

Other than the mounting brackets, a MJ D35 is the same as the XJ D35. In fact, my MJ has XJ axles under it. When I pulled my shafts a few months ago, I stuck the drum on backward, put the lug nuts on a few turns, then used the drum like a slide hammer. They popped right out. No need to open the differential to remove or install the shafts.

Replacing the seal is not as simple as it sounds, btw. You have to press the axle bearings off the shaft to replace the outer seal. At that point you should replace the bearing and locking collar. The bearing kit has the seal, bearing and new retainer plate. You can replace the inner seal pretty easy once the shaft is out though.

yeah i took thoes four bolts off cuz i thought they only held on the backplate of the brakes, but then i couldnt get the backplate off becasue of the larger hub. seemed to me that thoes 4 bolts held on that backplate and only that backplate... but i hope not cuz what would be holding me wheel on?? lol but ill take your word for it. although now im starting to think about just putting all the new hardware and brake drum/backplate/arms on rusty as they are. i blew the top and bottom end in my dirtbike today and i have a pre season race this weekend and the next weekend, so im thinking about just throwing it all back together with the new internals. i was going to just break even on this project, but now money is in the negitive for my mj. should i at least get the actual braking area resurfaced on the drum? this truck sat for 2 years

Last edited:
That plate is the bearing retainer so, yeah, that's what holds your wheels on.

Wire brush the backing plates, shoot 'em with Rustoleum, and put it together. They may look rusty but it's unusual to find backing plates that are actually ri=usted out enough to be unsafe, unless the vehiucle was parked in a swamp for a few years.

ok so i got the shafts out this week and i need to replace that seal on the outside. but i need to press these bearings off. does anyone know how much the new bearing, race, outer seal, and (im assuming i better replace this one too) the seal inside the axle tube run for? while im at it how much do you think a shop would bill me if i brought them the new parts and asked them to do the bearing removal and pressing the new ones on?

I just did mine last month. Here's what I ordered from Rustysoffroad.com

83501451 Dana 35 - Bearing & Retainer Kit - ALL - (XJ 84/89) 2 @ $31.77 = $63.54
83503010 Dana 35 - Seal; Axle Shaft Inner - ALL - (XJ 84/89) 2 @ $4.40 = $8.80

The kit has the retainer plate, outer seal, bearing, and locking collar.

stupidfast said:
lawson did it include a race as well for the bearing?

Yes, the bearing kit included the entire bearing. When I did mine, I used a dremel to cut a groove in locking collar, whacked it with a chisel and it slide right off. I did the same thing to the old bearing as I broke my el-cheapo Harbor Freight bearing puller trying to get it off. Fortunately I have a bearing press so getting the new parts on was easy. I'd guess a shop might charge $10 an axle?

Last edited:
Back