• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are RHD and LHD rear axles the same?

xj_mike

NAXJA Forum User
My guess is they are as not much in the back would change.

What about the front? Are the spindles different or is it just the steering stuff?

Might have a deal on a RHD 8.25 with 4.10's and Trac Loc. Wanted to make sure the rear end was the same.

Thanks.

both the rear and the front are the same i would think, only thing different would be the track bar and drag link up front

diddo.... if you can find a RHD, a lot of them have a better version of the 44 out back... so I hear

Cool, thanks guys. :D

LilRedRover said:
diddo.... if you can find a RHD, a lot of them have a better version of the 44 out back... so I hear

What? A better version? Describe, please.

The RHD rear 44 will work, but you will have to flip it over and swap the brakes with Baer 7-piston calipers or you will get chip creep.
Some of the early fleet vehicles from Cintas had a 'special' 44 out back with rifled, Unobtanium shafts and a 4.7" diameter pinion.
If you find one, consider yourself lucky.
You won't be able to weld the carrier, though, as the spider gears are located within the axle tubes about 3" in from the backing plates.
As for any recent research in England...they expect to have their first package of Crest White-Strips unloaded from the docks by next Wednesday.
HTH.

RHD TJ Rear D44s have the trackbar on the other side as I found out when we put a Skyjacker lift on our Wrangler and the LHD bracket extension didn't fit.

I've never seen a 8.25 on a British RHD XJ either, only ever on LHD imports. I wonder what market your donor was produced for?

ECKSJAY said:
So he hears. He read it on the innernet.

I'm guessing that it's a reverse rotation to match the reverse 4.0L, which isn't actually better.

reverse rotation 4.0l? are you saying that the engine spins opposite in australia?

does that mean that its true that the water drains down the toilet counter-clockwise "down under" as well?

-tim

Back