• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A "new" leaf question ?

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone used two long leafs for a BB AAL?

More precisely: Im buying oem style Hd leafs which has a longer leaf below the main leaf. Looking at the pic its not a "full" leaf but about 1 1/2" shy of full. If I use the old main leaf cut to full length (which is badly sagged) and add it between the new main leaf and the second 1 1/2" shorter leaf might this result in a extra rough ride?

Reason being I need new shackles and am planning on using 1 1/2 to 2" lift shackle and am trying to reinforce the leaf ends so they dont sag as bad.(in theory)

(read about long shackles causing sag even tho some say they dont)

Bottom line since I have very low budget and need shackles and leafs any way am trying to add 2" lift that will last a year or two til I can go bigger.

I plan on staying at 2" until I add all recovery and protection mods., etc..

Thanks a bunch for reading re-re-re-rehash stuff!

Ken

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82513

im in the middle of the same thing ur doin, this is what i gto for response and i think im gunna try the main leaf off of the S10 pack with the ends cut under my main. hope that helps for you

Adding in a chopped main leaf as an add-a-leaf won't make the ride bad at all.

The XJ I did this on did not have new HD springs, it had old standard duty springs, but the ride after the AAL was extremely comfortable. With new HD springs it'll be a bit more firm, but I'm sure it won't be "harsh."

I'll know better in a couple of weeks. My '88 has HD springs, and I'm about to do the home-brew AAL to make up the height I've lost due to 254,000 miles of use, skid plates, class 3 hitch, safari rack, and resident tool box in the back.

jfiscus said:
A HD pack and a stock pack minus just the bottom stock leaf will net you 3-3.5" of lift. It will have a decent ride, but will limit some flex.
Thanks and right now I just cant go over 2 1/2". Dont have the cash to add more mods if needed. Maybe if I could do a 3" that would settle (quickly) to a 2 1/2" that would work. (Would be nice to run 31"s since im going to be stuck with this set up for a year or two.)

I would save up and do a good lift right but I dont think my rear leafs and shackles will last much longer!(shackles are flaking and only about 2/3 orig. thickness right now)

Eagle said:
Adding in a chopped main leaf as an add-a-leaf won't make the ride bad at all.

The XJ I did this on did not have new HD springs, it had old standard duty springs, but the ride after the AAL was extremely comfortable. With new HD springs it'll be a bit more firm, but I'm sure it won't be "harsh."

I'll know better in a couple of weeks. My '88 has HD springs, and I'm about to do the home-brew AAL to make up the height I've lost due to 254,000 miles of use, skid plates, class 3 hitch, safari rack, and resident tool box in the back.
Thanks. Think I will do that! (maybe try next to main from old pack as well for teeny more lift)

Note: I just saw a set of military wrap rear leafs today for first time and boy did they look inviting! Especially with the twin loop eye sockets (two long leafs 1 w/inner main socket and a second one wrapped around that.) They just had "no sag with lift shackles" written all over them! (too bad they were for a Wrangler!) and $$$$

dizzymac said:
Where'd you find them for $65...are they HD's and are they new? Will be looking for some my own self.
Rt 16 Tamworth, 603-323-7669 (John) Granite State Performance (they are working on a web site but its not up yet). Same price/leaf at Quadratec also. (GSP is plus $12. shpg. each)

Yes oem style HD new!

dizzymac said:
wonder if you can do local p/u and avoid the s&h?
Not sure but I think this is the price shipped to them so we get stuck paying the shiping. They dont stock them.

I was in there and did tell the guy I could get same price from Quad. but had to pay shpg. so was checking with him to avoid ship. costs. I had to go to work so couldnt stay and this is the info he left on my phone.

When I get a chance I plan on going back and talking with a owner or manager or someone and let them know im just beginning to build and they will have a good return customer if I can somehow save on prices from them. Be it shpg. or frequent flyer discount. Would just as soon keep the cash local but not at my expense.

I wont have the cash for a few weeks to order them but I wonder if we could get a disc. by ordering together? (his message did sound like shpg. is "per" leaf no matter though.) They may have to ship seperately due to weight, dunno.

Maybe, there is strength in numbers. discount Jeep was around $13 S&H per "pack" too. I can wait a few weeks too, it'll take me that long to finish removing my floor pans....lol

dizzymac said:
Maybe, there is strength in numbers. discount Jeep was around $13 S&H per "pack" too. I can wait a few weeks too, it'll take me that long to finish removing my floor pans....lol
Ok my next days off I will go and spend some time talking to them and see what they may offer.

I was planning on doing the aal deal to my saggy ass on my 99', but then I was searching around and I found Old Man Emu full leaf packs and front springs for cheaper than the Rocklizard kit.

My question is how hard is it to place in the bushings into the end of the leaf packs?

http://www.rocky-road.com/xjome.html
If anybody is interested
I like the idea of the OME, starting out all new, because I tow a boat and the XJ really sags when I hook up that pig.

The reason I'm interested in the OME and the Rocklizard kit is because I'd rather spend a little more and get everything in one shot instead of piecing everything together.

raypla said:
I was planning on doing the aal deal to my saggy ass on my 99', but then I was searching around and I found Old Man Emu full leaf packs and front springs for cheaper than the Rocklizard kit.

My question is how hard is it to place in the bushings into the end of the leaf packs?

http://www.rocky-road.com/xjome.html
If anybody is interested
I like the idea of the OME, starting out all new, because I tow a boat and the XJ really sags when I hook up that pig.

The reason I'm interested in the OME and the Rocklizard kit is because I'd rather spend a little more and get everything in one shot instead of piecing everything together.
Im a newb so dont take my word for anything but from reading around here it appears that rubber bushings simply tap in and polys are two piece and just screw into each other no prob. Hard part is removing old bushings but you wont have to deal with that.

raypla said:
I don't wheel very much and I like the on road manners of the XJ do you think I'd be better off w/rubber or poly bushings?
Im going to see if someone else will chime in and answer that because from what I've read theres a 50/50 mixed opinion on that. Some say rubber is better and vise versa!

Back