• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling all 2.5L guys.

tgoff

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 86 Cherokee with the 2.5L TBI and I am looking for options for headers. I know of the Clifford performance headers and I am wondering if anyone here gets the 18% that they claim. If there are any alternatives to the Clifford headers I would like to hear about them and what results you get from running them. Thanks.

I have a 2.5 in my Heep...I have the Clifford headers...they fit just fine. As for a 18% power increase...I have never had the opportunity to inspect a stock exhaust manifold from a TBI engine...the headers are a big improvement over the stock mainfold on a CARBED engine ('84-'85)...the stock manifold from a MPI engine is probably as good as the headers, but if you need to pass smog test...the MPI manifold has no provision for EGR. In either case if you get headers...spend the extra bux to get them ceramic coated or they will rust. Headers alone will not give you a huge power boost..they are a part of a well planned set of modifications that together will net good gains..

I ran the Cliffords and loved them. It was hard to tell how much they added since I was coverting from carb to tbi, adding a purple cam, porting and adding the headers. The overall difference was major.

Thanks for the response. I didn't expect the headers to gain 18% but more like 5-10% but I emailed Clifford and the insisted 18% like they claim on their site. I will think about the Clifford but still want to know if there are any others out there for the pre-MPI 2.5L.

ive got an 85 with the carb. 2.5 and ready to do a motor swap its gutless just picking brains to figure the best swap

The best swap? I swapped in a 4.7L stroker. Talk about a difference. I built a performance 2.5L and it was fine off road, but pulling the mountains around here with a 2.5L vs a 4.7L is a completely different experience.

Sorry for digging up this old thread but does anyone know where to get Clifford Performance parts other then from cliffordperformance.net. The price on his headers are a little steep, with taxes and shipping the cost is very close to $500 which is way to much I'm willing to spend. So I am hoping somebody knows where if at all possible you can get these headers cheaper.

Back