• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another very simple question

J98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Im changing my Tranny fluid...I need to pull the crossmember off so where am I supposed to support the transmission if Im pulling the pan off of it?

...stupid dipstick tubes seized... : (

Why are you pulling the pan?

If you've got to pull the crossmember, put a jack under the body of the transfer case, and support it that way. That will allow you full and free access to the transmission pan area.

If you are worried, or have a jack with a very small "foot," I find that having a small bit of wood (say, an inch thick and abour 4-6 inches square) will spread the load and keep the steel foot from bearing directly upon the aluminum case - it works for me until I can machine some aluminum pads that are purpose-built...

5-90

Ah.

I think you'll find that the "filter" is little more than a "strainer" - and doesn't require regular replacement. If the screen catches anything, you've got larger problems. The AW4 does not have a "filter" per se.

Once you're used to the idea, I think you'll find that you only need to drop the pan every couple years or so (say, every third to fourth fluid change) to re-clean it and clean off the magnet in the pan (which you should do, since you'll have the pan down anyhow.)

I find that draining the fluid so that it runs over a large bar magnet in the pan (I happen to have a few...) will alert me to anything that may be failing - and I'll usually let the first few seconds and the last few seconds drain into a coffee filter, so I can see what the magnet might not catch.

Do bear in mind I wasn't asking to doubt your sanity - I just wanted to make sure you weren't thinking you might have larger problems to deal with...

5-90

Don't AW4s have a drain plug? Maybe I'm adding another simple (and perhaps stupid) question, but I swear I saw one while I was crawling under the Jeep changing oil and extending my steering stops. I may be wrong...but let me know so I can chime in appropriately.

just did mine last week,,,i didnt have to remove the crossmember,,,,just a really small socket/ratchet . its tight,,,but kept it a simple job

The crossmember does not need to be dropped to pull the pan. I helps but is not necessary. I recently did this job to replace the filter, replace the gasket (leaking) and to clean the magnets.

K

I only had to pull the crossmember because I couldnt get the dipstick tube apart so I just unhooked the bracket connecting it above the starter and pulled the whole thing down. Does the Jeep come from the factory with some kind of sealent on the pan because that was a really big pain to get off?

I dont know about the sealer but I know the dipstick is a PITA to get off. I smeared a dab of antiseize on the dipstick joint and havent had a problem with it since. Another tip is to ratchet strap the exhaust to the front axle to make more room to drop the pan without removing the crossmember. You dont have to move it much, just 1/2" or so but it helps.

Back