• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who HASN'T had a passenger side motor mount failure?

Mikel

NAXJA Forum User
This is the third time my passenger side motor mount bolts shear in three years :soapbox:

mine are rusty as hell - but still holding as far as i can see - i bought factory replacements...

how difficult is the job? i know you support under the oil pan..but how tough is it to get old one's off, and get new ones lined up right?

I think you should be looking into why thats happening. Had my XJ for 3 years none broken.

No problems here. However, if you do the job, make sure you have a small stack of washers handy. Apparently, the bolts like to bottom out in the holes, and the lack of preload/tension is what causes them to shear. Having a washer or two under the bolt head as a "spacer" to keep the bolt from bottoming out should help to prevent this.

5-90

In 15 years, I've never had the bolt shear. The rubber in the mount disintegrates on mine.

The driver side isn't too bad to r&r, the pass side sux to do because of the oil filter mount on the block :gonnablow

The rubber on my 87 broke but not the bolts, and those on my 95 have not gone bad yet at 260K miles. I guess I drive pretty gently, though my stick shift 95 puts enough torque on the mounts to scrape the fan shroud under hard acceleration unless it's perfectly aligned.

my driver side rubber was split in 3 places, the pass. was fine. i replaced with poly.
sheering the bolts? pics

it has happened to me at least four times. three on my xj and one om my wifes stock xj. the best thing to do is use more bolt holes. when i swapped motors i took the pass bracket and welded two plates to it with three extra holes to tie into the block. so now i have six bolts holding the mount to the block.

They broke on our 94 xj. I put grade 5 studs in the bolts place after I pulled the motor to drill out the broken bolts. I have not had any problems so far with the studs. The bolts that broke on mine were on the pass. side. I also own a 93 xj and a 98 xj and I plan at least changing the 93 over to studs. Pulling the motor to drill those out were a pain in the a$$.

You DON'T need to pull the motor. Find someone with a MIG welder and weld a blob of metal to the sheared bolt. Then grab onto that blob to turn the bolt out. This is the third time this happens to me. I was done extracting the broken bolts and putting everything back together in less than one hour.

black93xj said:
They broke on our 94 xj. I put grade 5 studs in the bolts place after I pulled the motor to drill out the broken bolts. I have not had any problems so far with the studs. The bolts that broke on mine were on the pass. side. I also own a 93 xj and a 98 xj and I plan at least changing the 93 over to studs. Pulling the motor to drill those out were a pain in the a$$.

The rubber in the motor mount on the exhaust manifold side of mine has gone out twice in the last couple years. But I think it's because of cracks in the exhaust manifold that cause hot exhaust gasses to melt the rubber. Which, a new manifold happens to be setting in a box in my living room. All I gotta do is find the time to put it on....lol. dn

Is this more common on rigs with a manual trans? I wheel mine and others all have autos, have never had this problem.

knock on wood.

I have a 95 that the passenger side has sheared off three times. It does seem to happen to standard trannies mor often. The last time I went to a slightly shorter grade 5 bolt and it hasn't happened for the last two years. I am waiting for the next time!

Just my drivers side sheared off. I got lucky and was able to fix it in the parking lot where I left it.
A right angle drill will make removing the broken bolts a 5 minute job

my stock mounts have held up so far...sh*t, now I just jinxed myself.

Mikel said:
You DON'T need to pull the motor. Find someone with a MIG welder and weld a blob of metal to the sheared bolt. Then grab onto that blob to turn the bolt out. This is the third time this happens to me. I was done extracting the broken bolts and putting everything back together in less than one hour.

I tried that today. Appentrently I slipped or something and welded a blob somewhere on the side above the bolt. I get to a certain point when I'm screwing it out and can't seem to move it anymore. Weird thing is I don't see anything in the way. I'm pissed with it right now. Shouldn't have happened to begine with. If you look at the NHTSA website, it's happend to people who's Jeep's wern't even a year old. This definelty should have been a recall. It's already happened to my Jeep atleast once. The previous owner cut a good size slot in the threads to use a screwdriver to pull them out. I have no idea what i've going to do about theses damn bolts, but b/t these bolts and death wobble, I'm about to say f the Jeep.

if you can't build your own

blockbracket.jpg

http://mountainoffroad.com/more.htm

Mine were not even flush, they were back in the block, One actualy broke off a little of the block. I agree that this should be a recall, but even if they did there would probly be a mileage limit like the recall on the cat. The same 94 that the bolts broke off the cat came apart also and that would have been covered but it happened at 120,000 miles. It not the Jeep's faut or even the design something had to happen to the bolts and it seems strange that its allways the pass side on 94, 95 and newer jeeps. Jeep should buy that kit for all of our jeeps and correct a problem that should have never happened in the first place.

Back